Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating a floor above an unheated crawl space

I am about to install a new engineeered floor over a plywood subfloor in my den. Currently it has thick padding and wall to wall carpeting. I am afraid that once i take up the padding and the carpeting and install the new wood floor the floor will be very cold in the winter. There is insulation under the floor from the crawl space side now. I was thinking of using the pink 2 x 8 sheets of insulation board on top of the sub floor, then installing a 1/4 ply wood and then install the new floor. Is this the right thing to do?
Joe Vassallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

Insulating a floor above an unheated crawl space

I think the pink foam boards will squish here and there over time and the floor will then either sag (if the squishes are large) or squeak (if the squishes are small.

Any way you can add more insulation to the underside? Use "unfaced" batt insulation because you do not want a vapor barrier down that far and you don't want a second vapor barrier if you properly have one at the subfloor..