Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing VCT in office

OK, folks, first, thanx in advance for any help.

So ... I am going to yank up the carpet and install VCT in my office/electronics workroom, because my task chair will not roll well on carpet. That and I don't want little teeny resistors, etc getting lost in the carpet.

So, my house is about 10 yrs old w/no foundation problems that I know of. The guy at Lowe's is telling me to use a product call planipatch (used with no other additives) ... basically completely sweep/vac/damp-mop the slab, blow a fan until dry, mix planipatch w/water per directions, and pour it out onto the slab, maybe use a squeegee to get it everywhere. In 20-30 minutes it will settle and make a perfectly flat, smooth surface upon which I them skwoosh out (my terminology) the adhesive with a VCT trowel and start laying tiles.

MY QUESTION: Am I getting good advice here? Should I use the planipatch as he stated?

Thanks!

kdthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Tileguy

Installing VCT in office

Quote:
MY QUESTION: Am I getting good advice here? Should I use the planipatch as he stated?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! That IS NOT what Plani Patch is for or how you should use it. Plani Patch is not a self levelling compound which is what he is trying to make it. Too much water and you will wreck the Plani Patch.

Why do you need anything to begin with?

Plani Patch is a great product for making repairs and filling some areas but not to be used the way he is suggesting.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

Installing VCT in office

Good advice? You were expecting good advice from that type of store? It's a self service building materials store, you need to know how and with what. I don't even bother to ask which aisle anymore.

Aren't there any real floor covering stores near you?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Installing VCT in office

Quote:
• Do not use for leveling large surfaces. Use
Novoplan® 2, Ultraplan ® 1 Plus or Ultraplan M20 Plus
self-leveling underlayment (see respective Technical
Data Sheet for details).
that is from the manufacturer themselves:

http://www.mapei.it/Referenze/Multim...atch_TD_EA.pdf

sounds like another big box guy should be boxed and shipped out.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

Installing VCT in office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That IS NOT what Plani Patch is for or how you should use it. Plani Patch is not a self levelling compound which is what he is trying to make it. Too much water and you will wreck the Plani Patch.

Why do you need anything to begin with?

Plani Patch is a great product for making repairs and filling some areas but not to be used the way he is suggesting.
Cool, glad I checked here first, I think I just got saved a big hassle ... thanks.

BTW ... I even went so far as to ask the guy if he had ever personally used planipatch for this, and he said no. Hmmm. Confirms that little nagging voice in the back of my head.

OK .. so help a newbie out here ... *should* I even need to use a leveling/smoothing agent? I can only imagine the concrete is smooth on the slab. I just want to do it correctly.

More Questions:
  • So, when I pull this carpet up, and get to the slab, I'll need to make sure it's not wavy-gravy with high spots & stuff, correct?. Is there a good way to check that reliably? Is eyeballing it enough?
  • If it's good and flat, do I just sweep/vac the slab clean and start laying adhesive & tile?
  • If it *does* have high spots, etc., what should I do? Has anyone used those products nap mentioned?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Tileguy

Installing VCT in office

Save us all a bunch of needless typing and go pull the wrag up first to see what's there. Use the longest straightedge you can find to randomly move around the room and see what condition the plane-of-the-substrate is in.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

Installing VCT in office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Save us all a bunch of needless typing and go pull the wrag up first to see what's there. Use the longest straightedge you can find to randomly move around the room and see what condition the plane-of-the-substrate is in.
Doh! Of course, a straightedge ... sometimes the obvious answer is the one ya never think of . I have some straightedges, and will do that. Tnx all for advice!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
Tileguy

Installing VCT in office

A straight edge.......brilliant Bud!

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Tileguy

Installing VCT in office

Thank you Jaz!