Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Installing unfinished wood flooring, and have a few questions.

I really appreciate you guys checking this question out. I am going to be installing Brazillian cherry shorts in my kitchen and dining room this coming weekend. I did a small section in my foyer (4x8') and learned a few things doing that.

I have a couple questions about this whole scenario.

1) I had small gaps when i did the floor in my foyer. I have seen filler products that are troweled on and then sanded. Is this stuff something that I should be using? Or should I just deal with the minor imperfections? I don't want it to bite me in the ass. I do understand how the floor expands and contracts due to seasonal changes. Timbermate is what I was considering using.

2) Floor sanding, I like the idea of using a drum to get everything flat. Are these sanders as dangerous as everyone seems to make them seem? I have used the orbital type and they take forever it seems.

3) These boards are pretty short, about a foot long. They look really awesome installed but I was wondering about stapling them down. In my foyer I did 2 staples per board, which cracked the tongue a couple times. Can I safely just stick a staple in the center of each board to minimize the risk of splitting it?

4) What is the most attractive way to transition into the carpet of my living room? I used threshold pieces in the foyer that are kind of T shaped.

I am using bonakemi finish product, stain and satin finish.

Thanks a TON guys. This site kicks ass.

Evan

Here is a picture of my foyer. The door is painted, trim installed etc.. now.

Last edited by 240sx4u; 01-19-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added link to photo
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
the Musigician

Wow... that looks almost exactly like MY foyer that I'm working on today, except I'm using teak flooring rejects from CL. Prefinished, but I'll sand it all down after I lay it down and refinish it. Most of the rejected pieces were simply not completely shiny where the 'factory' screwed up the finish. Some have huge planer burn grooves, and a few have big gouges..... those will help heat the house, since it stinks SO bad when tooling/sawing/etc.!
You should post this pic and your other work as you go or when done, (before and after?) over in the Project Showcase. We all admire nice work there, and yours is looking good! I'm considering drilling pilot holes in each tongue and using nails myself. Today, I'm just laying out the pieces.

DM

Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks DM. I will have to take a picture now that it's totally finished. I think I paid .50 a sq/ft from lumber liquidators? Ridiculously cheap. My uncle just did a teak floor in his living room, and man it is gorgeous!

I was able to rent the floor stapler and have it back at the depot in about 4 hours. Cost was not bad at all. I did buy one of the chinese floor nailers for the kitchen/dining room job. They run together and will end up being about 400sq/ft. I wanted to be able to take my time. Drilling and nailing isn't a bad idea. Honestly I don't see why you couldn't just use a finish nailer for a small area.

FYI, I could not be happier with the bonakemi traffic and stain. The smell was almost non existent and the sheen was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the compliments, I have never done anything like this before. My wife and I knocked this out in an afternoon. Ill do some before/afters of my new floor in the kitchen/dining room.

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote