Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing tongue and groove pine flooring

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 1927 home in San Diego. I've been living in it for about 6 weeks. Prior to moving in, I removed the carpet from the two bedrooms. In one room, under the carpet, was old VAT. I removed it (very carefully) and beneath that was painted tongue and groove porch flooring, unfortunately damaged (by time, glue, and who knows what else) beyond using it as a finish floor. In the other room, beneath the carpet, was hardwood flooring. Again, this flooring was damaged beyond repair, this time by (previous) moisture and termites.

I removed the hardwood and beneath that is a plank subfloor, redwood (I think) and 3/4" thick. I repaired the subfloor where appropriate, and now that I have had foundation work done and the floors leveled to some extent by lifting the girder beneath the house, it's time to think about finish flooring.

I'm on a budget, but I want wood floors. So, I'm going with tongue and groove pine, in about 6" width. It's cheap, and I like the way it looks when properly stained and finished. My first question:

With a plank subfloor, of course perpendicular to the floor joists, should I install the finish floor parallel or perpendicular to the joists? The previous hardwood was parallel to the joists, perpendicular to the subfloor planks.

Second question: I already put down plywood underlayment in these two rooms, wanting something not splintery to walk on, and thinking I was going with laminate. (I decided against laminate for many reasons, the biggest being I don't like the way it looks). Am I right in thinking I should remove the plywood and install the pine over rosin paper directly over the subfloor?
Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by whosmatt; 12-23-2013 at 07:45 PM.
whosmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,122

Installing tongue and groove pine flooring

How thick is this plywood?
You do know pine is the softest wood you could install right?
By the time you pay to rent the sanders, buy the sandpaper, and all the other materials
you could have installed prefinished engineered flooring and walked on it the same day it's installed.
No smell, no dust to deal with, 7 layers of finish not one or two like a jobsite finished job.