Installing Tile And Wood- What Order? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing tile and wood- what order?

We are installing two floors. A slate (3/8" gaged, 16x16) in the entry that will run into a bathroom and the kitchen as well. It will butt up against a wood floor (engineered 3/8", 5ply, Anderson) in 3 places for fairly long expanses. The wood floor will also butt up to an existing fireplace hearth that is flush with the floor and will remain.

We are planning to pull up all carpet etc. to the sub floor and then I'm thinking we need the wood floor to meet the hearth and then the tile to meet the wood but although the hearth seems like it will dictate the heights it doesn't mean it has to go in in that order and I can see benefits to doing each floor first sooo????????

1.) In what order should the floors be laid? wood then tile or tile then wood and why?

2.) also should the would wrap around the hearth like a border and then the planks run up to it?

Advertisement

red shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #2

Red Shoes! I hope someone answers your question, I have the exact same dilemma. Which comes first? The wood floor or the tile hearth (same level) and how do I transition between the two? Help us Oh-Knowledgeable-Floor-Persons, you are our only hope.
Dimdal

Advertisement

DIMDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Quote:
1.) In what order should the floors be laid? wood then tile or tile then wood and why?

2.) also should the would wrap around the hearth like a border and then the planks run up to it?

Doesn't usually matter which goes in first.
Doesn't matter if you trim the hearth or not, your choice.

You don't say what the subfloor is made of. You'll probably need a tilebacker which will blow your elevation theories out of the water and require additional underlayment under the wood to re-elevate the wood installation.

Is your substrate and structure suitable for a natural stone tile? Natural stone requires a subfloor that is twice as strong as what is required for ceramic tile. Not all existing substrates are automatically suitable for stone.

Sixteen inch tiles require a substrate that is very very flat. Is this the case?

Do you intend to do all this work yourself?

Aren't you asking identical questions in two different threads here at the same time? Why do you want that much confusion?

Hardwood Butting to Tile

Last edited by Bud Cline; 03-28-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #4

Bud, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Do you intend to do all this work yourself?
We're trying to decide hence all these questions. But, after asking around I think we'll be having it done, I've found a contractor who is willing to use us for help and give us a break on the price. We'll get a new floor and learn some new skills at the same time!

Quote:
You don't say what the subfloor is made of. You'll probably need a tilebacker which will blow your elevation theories out of the water and require additional underlayment under the wood to re-elevate the wood installation.

Is your substrate and structure suitable for a natural stone tile? Natural stone requires a subfloor that is twice as strong as what is required for ceramic tile. Not all existing substrates are automatically suitable for stone.

Sixteen inch tiles require a substrate that is very very flat. Is this the case?
The substrate is t&g and level, I've been told it is fine for what we intend to do.

My biggest concern is the matching up of the two floors and having it work out right. I think we could have done either one well but I'm concerned about our skill to have the two meet up as nicly as I'd like. Also we've decided to add heating to the tile undelayment and for me that pushed it into the realm of someone with more experience. This way we'll have the voice of expierience to keep us from screwing it up, I hope

Dimdal - the thread Bud referenced has some good info about tile meeting wood!

Last edited by red shoes; 04-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

We have the same problem. Someone told us the tile grout is much wetter and the edge of the wood would absorb the water and this would not be a good thing for the wood. Does anyone know if this is true? We have the wood, but not the tile and would like to get the wood floor installed if possible. Thanks.
oceangirl2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

Hey Ocean

It turns out that we are going to have the wood floor put in first. The tile person has given us an underlayment request so that the finished height of the wood floor will meet up with the finished tile with heat. The tile person said that he'll be better able to have the tile meet the wood than the wood person would be able to meet the tile.

It won't go in 'till the second week of july. I'll try and post pic's then.

-red
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Either way you wouldn't install tile-grout against the wood. That particular juncture needs to receive caulk. Both products expand and contract at different rates and the caulk will provide for the movement and required flexibility.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. We ended up putting in the floor first and then the tile. Whatever they did, the height is the same and they flow together very well.

-oceangirl

Advertisement

oceangirl2008 is offline   Reply With Quote