Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Tile Kitchen Floor

I'm planning on installing a tile floor in my kitchen this weekend and I just don't know where to start. Everything I've read and seen via YouTube says to start in the center, but I'm concerned the layout of my kitchen will make this a challenge (see picture - not to scale https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Kj...it?usp=sharing). Any advice about where to start, or advice in general would be great

Last edited by calirtc; 05-16-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Update Link for Picture
calirtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
DIY staff

What kind of tile ? Vinyl squares or ceramic?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #3

Hard to tell by that odd drawing.
Where's the cabinets?
In a kitchen if there's walls with no base cabinets I like to see full tiles and have the cut tiles end up under the toe kicks so there not noticed as much.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Do a dry layout of your tiles to see if there's any issues with the edges. Start with one tile in the center of the room. Two rows of tile reaching each direction should give you the picture. You want to avoid having to cut small slivers along a main edge. Balance the layout as best you can. Once your happy with the layout snap some chaulk lines down north and south, and another east and west and work off of those. Make sure these lines are square to each other. A floor laser works well for this.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ Force For This Useful Post:
calirtc (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
Once your happy with the layout snap some chaulk lines down north and south, and another east and west and work off of those. Make sure these lines are square to each other. A floor laser works well for this.

What if the walls of the room run NW-SE & NE-SW?
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

I'm using ceramic 12" squares. I have cabinets from my fridge to me oven on along the living side of the kitchen with cove base black rubber trim underneath. Anywhere there aren't cabinets I have baseboard along the walls. There are three entry ways into my kitchen as well.
calirtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In a kitchen if there's walls with no base cabinets I like to see full tiles and have the cut tiles end up under the toe kicks so there not noticed as much.
I agree. Although it looks like there are two narrow entryways where you'd want the tiles to be at least somewhat balanced, along with that long, exposed edge on the left side.

Luckily, the right side is all cabinets.

1. If you can start full tiles along the left wall, do you end up with slivers or a really imbalanced look at the entries top and bottom?

2. If the tiles are balanced across an entry, what happens at the left wall?

3. If neither of those look good, split the difference.

I was tiling a small bathroom. For me, it made sense to start the tiles along the exposed wall. Under the vanity and behind the toilet, I ended at a 1/3 tile. That looked fine.

Think about sight lines rather than rules.

Chances are, you walls aren't parallel but in many rooms at least one wall ends up "hidden" - in your case by base cabinets.

Do a dry layout across the floor so you can really see what it will look like.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zakany For This Useful Post:
calirtc (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k

What if the walls of the room run NW-SE & NE-SW?
Doesn't matter. As long as you use True North or Magnetic North. Not both. Seen this happen before...tiles were stacked like pancakes. Doh!
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
DIY staff

You will need to snap out a grid and see what you have---

This a a brief bit on grid layouts---

A grid for 12x12 tiles will hold four tiles ---first lay down 3 tiles in a row---space them for a grout line that looks good (3/16" usually looks good)
Then measure two tiles and two grout lines---if the tiles are true 12" and you use 3/16 grout lines you would have 24 and 3/8"---

Snap a chalk line one grid in from the show wall---left wall in your picture---then start measuring over to the opposite wall--one grid at a tile---

How do the cuts look on that wall? if they are to thin---then shift your chalk line 1/2 tile closer to the show wall----

Repeat the process in the other direction---when the layout looks good---start snapping lines--
Spray the chalk with hair spray---and start your tile setting.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #10

Never sand or abrade a vinyl floor; older floors may contain asbestos. Test older flooring materials tested before removal and have a professional remove materials containing asbestos.
katyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #11

The trick is to understand your floor layout. Google for jury sticks and chaulk string lines. Once you understand your layout, then you can start wherever you want, but usually the middle of the room is convenient. Once your first tile goes down, your entire layout is essentially set in stone.

Having said that, some tiles are not but to exactly the same size. So if you're using tile spacers and you notice you're getting away from your line, stop using the spacers for awhile until you can nudge the tiles back into alignment. Your snapped lines always trump spacers.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote