Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #1

Share |

Installing a Threshold

I'm installing a threshold for a bathroom. I think its travertine (here's a link: http://www.tileshop.com/product/prod...ecordID=394943). The tile was installed over Ditra. I was going to install the threshold over the Ditra, but the top of it seems kinda high in relation to the top of the tile, even before I lay down the thinset. Can I remove the thinset and put it over the plywood (2 layers of 1/2 inch plywood), or should I just suck up the height difference?

Thanks,

Richard
RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Tileguy

Installing a Threshold

Hi Richard,

The threshold is supposed to be higher than the floor, notice the bevels?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Installing a Threshold

This is what I used, when I did our bath for the threshold at the doorway. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 It took me a couple of different stains, to get it to match the Varnish on our pine flooring, but after doing it, then applying four coats of Poly, it is still looking good, even after three years.

As for your transition, what is the height that we are talking about, between the two materials. A picture does help, showing the tape measure showing actual transition measurement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #4

Installing a Threshold

The bevel is about 1/8" high, and I've got another 1/16+ showing, so a total of about 3/16" before I put down the thinset. I figure an additional 1/8" for the thinset, so the top of the threshold will end up being almost 3/8 of an inch above the tile. This just seems kinda high to me. I was figuring about half that ...

Richard
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Installing a Threshold

You could have a mill shop make some custom curbs for you, which would cost more than purchasing something off the shelf.

There are different types of curbs, you just need to measure the height from one floor level to the other, then go shopping. Posting on here, and complaining that there is a height difference, is not going to finish the job. Get the height measurement, head to Home Depot or Lowes, and find one that works, then get the job done.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Tileguy

Installing a Threshold

Most thresholds I see are about 5/8", there's some Durango materials that's about 2cm, which is about 3/4". I don't like those. Also there's no reason why the thin set for the thresh needs to be a full 1/8" thick. The typical difference is about 1/4" or so. That's common and not too much.

Otherwise eliminate the marble and end it like this;

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a Threshold-100_1164.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

Installing a Threshold

Thanks for the info. I did notice the height difference between this threshold and another one I installed in another bathroom. I guess we got so set on THIS one that I never stepped back and thought of getting another one ...

I was planning on using a 1/4" x 1/4" notch trowel, which based on my very limited experience collapses to 1/8". I take it that, given the 3/4" thickness of the threshold (making it presumably stronger than tile), I could use a different notch to produce a thinner bed of thinset, and keep the resulting overall height reasonable. This would bring it down into the 1/4" range, which I now know thanks to you, JazMan, is normal.

Also, JazMan, is that pic from one of your jobs, because it looks really good!!!

Richard
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Tileguy

Installing a Threshold

Richard,

Yes, that's a pic of one of my jobs. That is my sister-in-laws bath floor. The builder's quality tile work was 8 years old and frankly looked like crap. It looked like crap the day is was finished actually.

1/4x1/4 trowel does not leave a build up of 1/8". 1/4x1/4 does not leave 1/4" high ridges of thinset, maybe 3/16 or so.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-17-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Installing a Threshold

I went ahead and installed the threshold over the Ditra. It turned out OK, I think. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow ...

Richard
Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #10

Installing a Threshold

I took the pics as promised, but I think the files are too large. I'll try to figure out how to make them smaller and upload them as soon as I'm able.

Richard
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Installing a Threshold

You can resize them with Windows paint, or if you have a Flickr.com account, you can share them from there, same if you have a Facebook account. Pixlr.com is free and you can use it also for resizing http://pixlr.com/

If you have an Android or iOS device, you can download the diychatroom app from either http://play.google.com/store for Android devices, or the App store of iOS devices. Pixlr also has a app available for both platforms.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #12

Installing a Threshold

OK, I can't seem to upload anything -- not even a .bmp with just a line across it. When I click "Upload", I either get a message that says IE cannot display the webpage, and if you click "Diagnose", you get a message that Windows can't diagnose the problem, and finally, a DIYChatroom page that says an invalid post was specified. Or, you get a message that says "Uploading files -- please wait", and nothing happens ...

Richard
Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #13

Installing a Threshold

OK, I switched from IE to Chrome, and that solved the upload problem.

The first shows the threshold from the bedroom. The second shows it from the bathtub, the third shows it more up close, and the final one shows its height.

Eh, it ended up too high for my test, but it's done.

I know I could have gotten another threshold that was 5/8", rather than 3/4", but I haven't seen anything that went nearly as well, so that wasn't a viable option.

Another alternative was grinding down the threshold an 1/8" or so, but I was worried I might crack it. Anyone have any experience doing that?

A third alternative was to get rid of the Ditra, and put it directly on the plywood. Nobody seemed to respond to that idea, so I thought it wasn't much in favor, but could I have done that, especially since the threshold is 3/4" thick?

Finally, could I have used a different sized trowel? I used a 1/4 x 1/4. Could I have used a 1/8 x 1/8?

I know this is all after the fact, but I'd be interested in knowing anyone's thoughts for future endeavors ...

Thanks,

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a Threshold-img_1591.jpg   Installing a Threshold-img_1592.jpg   Installing a Threshold-img_1594.jpg   Installing a Threshold-img_1593.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Tileguy

Installing a Threshold

Richard,

I guess I've been nominated to be the one to ask......

Why is the threshold installed (cut) like that? I've actually never seen that. The threshold goes only within the jamb.

Did the tiles end up an inch short of the mark? Hard to tell from the pic. Is that a standard 4.5" thresh?

Jaz

Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #15

Installing a Threshold

JazMan,

It's not a short story and I did write an explanation, but DIY Chatroom crapped out on me and everything was lost. I'll try to get you a reply in the next couple of days ...

Richard