Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Installing solid hardwood foor ??

Thanks in Advance
I'm putting in a Bruce 3/4" solid oak floor nail down. Living Room, Dining Room and Hall.

They all had carpet. The exsiting sub floor looks like 2 1\2" wide running at 45 degrees to the joist. It is covered with 1/4' hard borad nailed and screwed down. It also looks like glue and is in good shape.

Do I need to take this up and go right on the subfloor. or can on install on top of it.

In my research the only reson I can see is to reduce nosie. The floor is quiet.

My wife can't wait.

Grayroc k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Installing solid hardwood foor ??

If the flooring looks good. Its ok to install the hard wood on top of it. I installed hardwood some years ago and screwed and glued 1/4 launa down to make the floor more level. Also I installed hardwood to the sub flooring after removing the carpeting. As an afterthought the second job was down for over 2 years when a water pipe busted and when the owners woke up next morning the house had about 1 inch of water. To make it short, the contractor the insurance company hired to repaired the floor says that he couldn't pull the floor up cause it was fasten to good. . Have fun.

TNRocks

Quote "Do it right the first time, so you don't have to spend time doing it again."

TNRocks is offline   Reply With Quote