DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing solid bamboo over concrete slab

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Floorwizard 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put down some hardwood in our dining room and would like to do solid bamboo since the mfg says you can glue it over concrete so long as you are at or above grade.

However, it seems like I'm not 100% convinced that this is okay. I'm not going to have the capacity to perform a calcium chloride test but I can easily do the polyethylene film test. If the floor passes this test should I then be able to feel pretty comfortable glueing down solid bamboo? The only thing the mfg says on their website is "Flooring must not be installed if vapor pressure exceeds 3 lbs. per 1000 square feet in 24 hours using calcium chloride test method".

If the flooring passes the test, is it a bad idea to throw down a coat of moisture sealer for a little extra insurance? Also, does it matter if the polyethylene test is done during the fall versus summer time or spring?

I'd rather have solid bamboo than something engineered but if it's not meant to be then I can live with it.

#2 ·
No big difference between a solid or engineered is there?
I would float over a moisture barrier and call it good.
Which manufacturer is recommending this possible disaster?

Bamboo is a grass that expands and contracts like nobody's business. Glue down?
Heck no-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.