Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Share |

Installing plywood underlayment

I am going to install 3/8 good one side plywood on top of my 5/8 plywood subfloor. I will be installing engineered bamboo for a finish.

Anyone have a good step by step guide for doing this, any tips?

Here is what I am planning, correct me if I am wrong.

Install the sheets perpendicular to the joists, making sure not to have a joint where the subfloor joint is.

Lay the sheet 1/4 inch from the wall for expansion. Space the sheets themselves 1/4 apart as well???

Glue the sheets down with PL400, screw around the perimeter with 1" zinc (yellow) deck screws (of should I use coated)? Nail the field with 1 1/4" ring shank coil nails.

Any advice is very much appreciated. There is so much conflicting info out there. Some say DO NOT screw all the way to joists and some say DO hit joists where possible.

Thanks,

Ben

benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

you have hit everything on the head correctly. As far as nailing/screwing into the joists, I'll let one of the tech. guys answer. Personally I dont screw plywood underlayment through sheathing into joists unless 1) there are squeaks or 2) I am installing tile.

acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

Hi Ben,

A tile installation requires the most critically stiffest subfloor/underlayment system. I don't see why we should lower the standards for other types of flooring.

Re-fasten the sub to the joists. Fasten the underlayment to the subfloor only using 1 1/4" flooring screws. In this case shorter screws will be OK since the sub is only 5/8".

Ply always goes across the joists regardless on the installation. Offset by at least 20-22" if possible. The accepted gap between sheets is 1/8". 1/4" at the perimeter and solid objects.

NO GLUE. Unless it's a thin wood glue and you can spread it 100% to laminate the two.

Quote:
There is so much conflicting info out there. Some say DO NOT screw all the way to joists and some say DO hit joists where possible.
If you use the right screws you will not hit the joists when installing the underlayment.

Jaz

PS.
Quote:
Personally I dont screw plywood underlayment through sheathing into joists unless 1) there are squeaks or 2) I am installing tile.
Sorry, this is wrong.

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (03-07-2014), sam floor (05-01-2013)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Yep; http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/.../PDF/R340G.pdf

Gary
Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Ben,

A tile installation requires the most critically stiffest subfloor/underlayment system. I don't see why we should lower the standards for other types of flooring.

Re-fasten the sub to the joists. Fasten the underlayment to the subfloor only using 1 1/4" flooring screws. In this case shorter screws will be OK since the sub is only 5/8".

Ply always goes across the joists regardless on the installation. Offset by at least 20-22" if possible. The accepted gap between sheets is 1/8". 1/4" at the perimeter and solid objects.

NO GLUE. Unless it's a thin wood glue and you can spread it 100% to laminate the two.

If you use the right screws you will not hit the joists when installing the underlayment.

Jaz

PS.

Sorry, this is wrong.

Thanks for the advise. Why No glue?, will it make the surface uneven if not spead properley?
benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Why No glue?, will it make the surface uneven if not spead properley?
Absolutely, go to the head of the class. Most people would use a thick construction glue from a tube. These beads create slight hills there fore creating tiny valleys, therefore voids. Some people can't get it in their heads that it is not good to glue underlayment. The subfloor YES, cuz you're gluing to the joists, big difference.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
sam floor (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #7

I just joined to give a big thanks to the Jazman. I've been researching this for weeks and have run into his posts a few times. They're always right on the money.

Thanks Jaz, you've been a huge help to me in my home projects.
kirm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kirm For This Useful Post:
JazMan (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Floor Installer

And don't use drywall screws. Use galvanized screws or deck screws.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam floor For This Useful Post:
JazMan (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Tileguy

Kirm,

You said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirm
I just joined to give a big thanks to the Jazman.
Very nice of you to stop and say that, but stick around.

Jaz

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

Check out these GRK R4 screws. I use these GRK's for many different projects, and come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...k%3Agrk+screws
Evenfurther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #11

At the advice of a local contractor--I glued AND nailed the underlayment into the joists. Surprised he told me this when I found the opposite info online, as he's been doing it a long time. Guess he uses the old train of thought.

Anyways, doing 3/4 unfinished hardwoods on top. Will I be ok or is my house going to crumble to the ground? (that's a joke)
pcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Tileguy

That's an instinctive way to install underlayment, it's just not the recommended way. I don't know about "old train" and this error should not be a major disaster.

There's "pros" out there that have been doing some things the wrong way, for "30 years, and have never had a problem". In short, how long one has been doing things wrong is not a plus. But again, not a big deal in this case.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (03-07-2014)