Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

installing a pine floor and not sure if my subflooring is OSB or particle/press board

it looks like a mix of the two and don't want to make the mistake of not having the right subflooring. If its not the right stuff, what do I do? Please help, the materials are on their way. Also, do I have to nail it in, someone told me I can't use staples because the wood will split. How hard is the manual nailer to use? Any input would be appreciated, thanks so much

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 514

installing a pine floor and not sure if my subflooring is OSB or particle/press board

Can you post a photo of the subfloor? Tat will be the easiest way for us to tell what it is. You can staple the floor down instead of nailing it. This is just as common now if not more so than nailing. You still need the proper stapler though. A manual nailer can be a real pain to use and it'll wear you out quickly. You'd be much better off with an air powered nailer and a compressor. You line it up and whack it with a mallet the same as a manual nailer but the air pressure does the hard work for you. One good whack and you are done. You have to beat the snot out of a manual nailer and if you don't get your swing just right you may be hitting more than once to get each nail in.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #3

so am looking at plywood now. The vendor where I got my flooring said that the 1/4 in plywood would be good enough to cover it. Its a local vendor/lumber yard so if they say thats workable, I'll go with it. Now, I guess I'm going to buy some white glue, and the right screws to use and go from there Laying the plywood perpendicular, and I will check into a rental of the pneumatic, thanks all for all the input! I'm so glad I joined here. Otherwise I would have had a real messy floor on my hands once it started popping up on me. You guys have been great!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Local or not. Reputable or not. You need to follow the directions from the manufacturer of the flooring, not necessarily the sales clerk's advise.

Generally, 1/4" ply underlayment is not suitable for this purpose. But even if it were, the subfloor is what's important, and if the sub is particle board, you may not be OK.

You also said about laying the plywood perpendicular, perpendicular to what? If you're thinking perpendicular to the subfloor sheets, that is wrong too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #5

board (whatever it is). You're right, a 1/4 in isn't enough to grab into. Went to home depot and got liquid nails in tubes (6large ones) as they didn't know what I was talking about with the white glue that handy pete suggested. So now I have liquid nails to spread on each sheet of plywood and then will screw them down also with a flooring screw, I take it this is similiar to deck screws. But, the salesman showed me flooring nails which I did not buy, hoping I made the right decision. I'm going to go with the deck screws but not sure how big...2 in?

I think the perpindicular layout means opposite the layout of the current subfloor. However, when home I marked where the joists are as I think the ends/edges probably need to be attached to the joists. Therefore, the layout is pretty much the same as what is already in here. The joists are 24 in apart. This is a 16x76 mobile home so not the same as a built home. Am I doing the right thing now, or getting closer?

Thanks again for the help