DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing 'peal and stick' vinyl squares on top of existing ....

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
.... rolled vinyl floors. I'm about to install some peel and stick squares on my kitchen floor, that currently has 'roll' (large sheets) vinyl floor. Can I just stick the new squares on top of the existing floor? Or should I rip up the existing floor, which is in good condition and isn't peeling away anywhere.
I'm inclined to leave the original floor because:
1) it's easier!
2) if there are major spills, which is likely in a kitchen, then it'll be good to know that there are two layers down there and that the original floor will catch any liquids that might slip through the cracks in the new floor.
Thanks
Alex
Knoxville, TN

#4 ·
Vinyl flooring glue applied with 1/8" V notch trowel. Glue looks like yellow or orange peanut butter. Wear gloves or plan on wearing some glue for a couple days:) . When laying the tiles into the glue, lay them so you're squeezing the glue to the open side. Get a hand roller to get the final seal on the tile (just don't roll out ALL the glue). Keep a rag handy, wet with solvent (test some on a spare tile before using on the floor) for glue squeezing onto the tiles.

#6 ·
Alexz,
In most cases there is no need to remove your existing floor if it is solid and secure. Just make sure the old floor is free of wax or grease. Scuffing with coarse sandpaper will also improve adhesion. Vacuum up every speck of dust before installation.
I would not recommend using an additional adhesive with self-stick tiles as incompatible glues will cause a much larger problem. The self-stick tiles were designed to be used without other adhesives and work reasonably well if care is taken during installation. A 100 lb roller is worth renting for anything larger than a bathroom.
Hope this helps.
Steve

#7 ·
redoing a bathroom floor

I have read all the messages on peal and stick. I am going to redo my bathroom floors. They are pretty small areas, the problem I am having is that I have some mildew under the old linoleum. I am on a cement slabe so I may have to reseal the cement before I continue with the new floor.

#8 ·
Nobody has mentioned 2 important things:

First check to make sure your current floor is NOT a perimeter spread Vinyl. If you have some sort of sucker device like the one that you can suck onto a car window and hang "baby on board"
suck in the middle of the floor and pull to see if it lifts up.
no go if it's perimeter spread.

If full spread, then you need to use an embossing leveler first to fill in the pattern of the old floor, or it will appear thru the new one.

good luck

#9 ·
Alex,

Brik and Florcraft are correct, you should not do as you have planned. Even if your floor is full-spread adhered, I'm sure is has a texture, a design. Most likely it is soft too. Many sheet vinyls have a thin layer of foam in the sandwich. Unless you're looking for a temporary fix I would reconsider. If you want something better, have someone install another sheet vinyl, or consider installing a good floor...like ceramic. Many install ceramic tile themselves, with a little help.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.