DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Laminate in Kitchen/Ceramic Tile in Hallway

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
My fiancee and I have decided to install wood laminate on our entire first floor (approximately 910sqft). My questions are as follows:

1. Installing laminate in the kitchen, do you put it under the refrigerator, oven and dishwasher? Or just up to the very edge and lay something else underneath these appliances?

2. We are laying ceramic tile in the entry way, 1/2 bath and laundry room on first floor. My question....we have a plywood subfloor; is it necessary to lay something else on top of this subfloor and can we put mortar right on top of the laminate?

This is causing a difference of opinion on what each other thinks is the right way. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi,

Congratulations on not choosing carpeting.:thumbup:

1. Flooring always goes under refrigerator and slide out stove. No need to install under dishwasher unless it's out. Good idea to screw the adjusters in and shim it up as much as possible for easy future removal.

2. You can NOT install tile directly on a single layer of plywood subfloor, and I don't recommend installing over plywood no matter how many layers you have. You have to install either a cement backer board or an isolation membrane such as Ditra. What mortar and what laminate are you referring to?

Before you start you should make sure the subfloor system is stiff enough for tiles in the first place. Let us know the size and spacing of the joists and the unsupported span of the joists. Also let us know what type of tile you're considering and which specific setting products and methods you're considering.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.