Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

installing laminate flooring

I am going to be installing some Pergo accolade flooring, which has the underlayment attached. I was told I could install this directly over the existing carpet, which is thin in nature and in good shape. I'm skeptical of this advice...what do you think??

garwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Listen to the little voice...don't do it! clear the floor to the sub-floor and then install.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks..
Even though it would be sooo much easier...and even though I would have loved it if you'd said "sure, it'll be fine"....I just about knew that it wouldn't work as well. "If it sounds too good to be true...."
garwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

It can be done. Make no mistake about it....BUT

It must be low pile commercial level loop carpet that is glued to the substrate.

Only in this situation is it acceptable and warrantied.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

It can be done as Florcraft suggest but it is highly prone to failure and unadvisable.

The movement will occur when the floor is stepped on, it will work the tongue and groove back and forth, this in turn will lead to premature failure of the locking mechanisim.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

hi iam going to install about 300 ft of flooring in kitchen and dining room in a manufactured home. Has anyone use Alloc flooring before? my am thing Alloc or Prego any advice?
jwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Both manufacturers make good,better, and best qualities.
Any specifics?
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwoode View Post
I am going to be installing some Pergo accolade flooring, which has the underlayment attached. I was told I could install this directly over the existing carpet, which is thin in nature and in good shape. I'm skeptical of this advice...what do you think??
Remove the carpet

FYI: Laminate flooring dulls good blades quickly; most cuts will be under moulding thus rough cuts will be hidden
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwag View Post
hi iam going to install about 300 ft of flooring in kitchen and dining room in a manufactured home. Has anyone use Alloc flooring before? my am thing Alloc or Prego any advice?
I've been reading bad reviews about Pergo laminates--they're dull, hard to maintain, etc. Has anyone else heard this?? I thought Pergo was supposed to be the king of laminates?
rachel812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #10

hi rachel i am so confused the more i read the more i don't know what i want to do. when i go to my lowes store they don't have much beside prego and a few samples of alloc and swift somthing or other. don't know what i will do..
jwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

I've seen Pergo and a couple of other off brands installed in kitchen, hall ways and living rooms where the families had a couple of large rowdy dogs. The laminate stuff held up way better than I thought. I did my kitchen, dining and hallway with a pretty cheap brand...and was really satisfied.

One thing many folks assume is that tough equals no maintenance....which isn't the case. You still have to be diligent with sweeping, protect the floor from chair/table legs and yes the stuff will scratch. Comparing laminate to linoleum, laminate wins hands down in my limited experience. In our new house we put hardwood in the same area (kitchen, dining, living, BF), so far so good. I don't have "the" answer...but it sounds like you're doing your research, and I'm sure you'll make the best decision based on your findings.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

As mentioned above, just keep doing your reasearch. Every use/installation has different requirements.

In a kitchen, where the traffic from the back door brings in grit from outside, even with throw rugs, the floor will get scratched. Animals are another consideration and can cause other problems.

You need to follow best practices and buy a product that will meet your specific needs. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

I'd never install over carpet even though some say it's ok. Trapping all that smell/dirt under a new floor just bothers me for some reason even if it didn't move at all.

I've used both Alloc and Pergo with equal success. Again, as mentioned above, there are several variations of quality for every brand. There's a reason the price varies, look at the warranty for one example.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I've put laminate over commercial low pile level loop once. It was glued down on top of Asbestos tile so I wasn't risking a rip up. Armstrong told me it should be fine to do this. 5 years later and it looks great with no issues. All I could say is make sure you use a good grade of laminate that is at least 8mm thick. The thinner the product the more chance you have of movement cracking the tongue. I'd be a little hesitant to put a product over carpet if it has it's own pad on the back though. That's twice as much room for movement that could cause cracking.

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote