Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing hardwood in sunken living room

I'm currently installing 3/4" x 2 1/4" unfinished oak in my entire house replacing all the carpet. So far everything has gone perfectly fine except I'm not too sure what to do about the 3 step downs going into the living room.

The three steps lead up to the: entry *currently has laminate*, hallway *currently carpeted* and kitchen *currently has linoleum.

I know I could use a stair nosing but I don't really think I would like the way it would look since it would be kind of bulky looking. I asked my brother-in-law since he is pretty handy and he suggested I use outside corner molding which I liked the idea but not sure how well it would hold up to floor traffic.

What would be the best way to make the steps look decent and could I glue extra boards going vertical up to the top of the step?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing hardwood in sunken living room-photo-1.jpg   Installing hardwood in sunken living room-photo-2.jpg   Installing hardwood in sunken living room-photo-3.jpg  
Attached Images

alupso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

I know you prefer not to use a bullnose but I would highly recommend using it anyway. It is best not to have a sharp edge at a step. The piece that you are considering to install will likely crack in a short period of time. If installed correctly I think you may be very pleased with how the bullnose looks once installed and won't look as bulky as you are imagining and should hold up to the traffic very well. If you insist on not using a wood bullnose then I imagine that an outside corner threshold made of metal would hold up well like what is used for carpet and laminate in similar situations. I hope this is helpful and good luck.

Indianapolis Handyman

mr_handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_handy View Post
I know you prefer not to use a bullnose but I would highly recommend using it anyway. It is best not to have a sharp edge at a step. The piece that you are considering to install will likely crack in a short period of time. If installed correctly I think you may be very pleased with how the bullnose looks once installed and won't look as bulky as you are imagining and should hold up to the traffic very well. If you insist on not using a wood bullnose then I imagine that an outside corner threshold made of metal would hold up well like what is used for carpet and laminate in similar situations. I hope this is helpful and good luck.

Indianapolis Handyman
Thanks for the reply Mr Handyman and I was thinking the same with the outside corner breaking as well.

Don't they make a flush or smaller looking stair bullnose? If they do I would prefer to use that but I also really need to go to the store and see how the bullnose looks and judge it in person.

What about the wall going up to the step and laying the wood plank/pieces vertically and gluing them in place?
alupso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alupso View Post
What about the wall going up to the step and laying the wood plank/pieces vertically and gluing them in place?
Thats the ticket
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwood, living room, oak, steps, sunken