DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Hardwood Flooring

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  240sx4u 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, first post.

I just bought a house and the hardwood flooring looks aged and does not have that shine to it. I am a handyman and would enjoy doing the flooring myself but I want to know if I will get the same results as a professional for cheaper?

#2 ·
this being a do it yourself site, of course you can do as good a job as the pro's. At least that is what you need to tell yourself. There is a difference of doing it yourself and being happy, and doing it yourself and comparing it to how someone who does it for a living will do it. There are of course different levels of skills. You need to ask yourself what your expectations are going to be. I do about everything myself, can live with the outcome but I don't fool myself that I can do better then the pros.

#4 ·
I am hoping that it is real hardwood floor and not laminate. Laminate is very thin wood and is not really conducive to refinishing.

If it is the real stuff then just get a sander and go to town. If it is just a surface issue then a vibrating sander would work fine. Sometimes you can just polish the existing floor and get great results especially if you just want to get the shine back.

If the wood is in need of refinishing then the work is a little more intense but still doable.

I say go for it. Ask your local flooring store who rents sanding equipment what they recommend.

And if you sand us a mask. Some of that stuff they use to surface the floors is really nasty for creatures that breath air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.