DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Cove Base

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
New to the forum and very novice DIY'er. I'm wanting to install rubber cove base to my garage. Walls are very slightly textured drywall and floor is just concrete (no epoxy finish). I've read that the base, adhesive, and the room itself must be around 65-70 degrees 24 hours before, during and 48 hours after installation. I live in Kentucky. Since this is an un-insulated garage I would either have to heat the heck out of it (which I'm not going to do) or wait until next summer. I was wanting to do this next week though. How critical is the temperature in successfully installing cove base? Temps here now are 40's-50's for high and getting ready to be 20's-30's for low. Can I still do it or should I wait?

#4 ·
I would say to just wait.

The temperature is very important.

1.) Cove Base is 'most often' and 'most affordably' purchased in a large amount. This amount comes wrapped in a circular pattern (roll) in a box.
If it is cold, it is difficult to unwrap the roll, and it is difficult to get it to conform to lay flat on a wall.

2.) The adhesives for cove base will not hold properly in colder temperatures...Nor will it dry properly.

3.) Even if you were to warm up the covebase and warm up the adhesive, the wall and air temperature will have it's effects.....and the next day you will be walking into all your previously attached cove base sitting on your garage floor with dried, but still wet adhesive, on the backside of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.