Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Installing cementboard over plywood

I have a 50 year old home that I purchased and am restoring, right now I am working in the kitchen and I need to install new flooring. I have peeled up the old floor and found no structural issues with the plywood sub floor, now I am going to install cementboard, but I am wondering if I need to seal the plywood or put anything between the cementboard before doing my tiling.

bushidodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Daddy,

Quote:
seal the plywood or put anything between the cementboard before doing my tiling.
Absolutely. The concrete backer is installed into fresh thin set mortar, fastened and taped.

But, before you do that. How thick is that plywood you're stepping on? Was the old flooring bonded to that or something else? Tell us how the framing is built. Size & type of joists, (species and grade would be very helpful too), spacing and unsupported span. Then what you have above the joists. What type/kind of tiles are you planning to set and with what? Size of tiles & rooms? How flat is the floor? Give specific names if you know them.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

on it. I know the room is 14 by 11 feet. the old floor was laminate and it was glued right to the plywood. I still dont have it all up yet. the space underneath is open and the joists are 12/2's but the span I dont know and i will have to check the supports. if I am not properly supported I am assuming that is my first move right.? every joist, approx. 4 feet apart? cross supports are best right? I am pretty sure the plywood is thick, maybe 5/8ths, but I am going to have to find a place to check it. thanks for the help, ill post when i have some answers.

Last edited by bushidodaddy; 02-23-2012 at 10:59 PM.
bushidodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote