DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Bamboo in kitchen & 1st level

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  caveeagle 
#1 ·
So, I am doing a 100% Kitchen remodel and installing a floating bamboo on the entire ground level of the house.

For our situation, the Manufacturer recommended to go with a floating floor with the planks glued together on top of a foam sound deadening product.

My wife wants the look of the fooring that runs under the cabinets, so we don't have any 1/4 round molding (or other). We are also installing an Island in the middle of the Kitchen that will have electrical running up from the basement.

So should I just lay all the flooring down first? And then just put the cabinets on top of the floating floor?

I don't like this idea, in case anyone ever wants to change the flooring, the cabinets would have to come out.

What is the standard what to do this install??

#2 ·
I ran my solid hardwood flooring under the cabinets. If I sell the house and somebody doesn't like the flooring, then it's their problem to deal with. That being said, their are toe kick saws that allow one to cut the flooring flush with the cabinet base. Therefore, if someone down the road wanted to change the flooring, they could still do so, without removing the cabinets.

Your floating floor brings up one concern for me. What is the manufacturer's recommendation as far as installing it under cabinets? I would go with their recommendation, as it dictates your warranty. Is this an engineered flooring product? Not all flooring is suitable for potential moisture areas. I have Brazilian Koa in my kitchen, but it holds up very well to water spills. Engineered flooring will not have the same resilience.

#3 ·
We are using 9/16" Carbonized bamboo flooring from Cali Bamboo. Planks are 5 3/8" wide tongue & groove planks. The underlayment we are using is a foam product.

I don't think you would consider it an "engineered" product as it is solid bamboo. I think that all bamboo flooring is "engineered" to some degree. It had a very high hardness rating (5574 J rating).

#4 ·
The manufacturer's installation instructions state it should not be installed under permanent cabinetry. http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-floor-floating-installation-guide.html

Now, I recall my manufacturer making the same recommendation. It's likely due to expansion/contraction concerns. Mine has been in place for about a year and a half and I see no problems from it. But, mine is nailed down, not floating. Maybe call the manufacturer and ask why the recommend against it, then make your own determination.

#5 ·
I'm installing a floating floor in a kitchen too. I wanted run under the cabinets. I highly doubt there would be a problem if installed under the cabinets, considering the way I was going to do it.

But I decided to play it safe and lay down a premium grade plywood under the base cabinets to perfectly match the floor height. The floor will run just under the toe kicks so no moldings will be needed, and it will look the same as flooring under the cabinets.

The only issue I addressed was the dish washer end panel. I had to build an inner main end panel, and will be floating the dish washer end panel over the inner main end panel to complete the look without moldings.

Honestly at this point, I kinda wish I would have done a non-floating floor.

#6 · (Edited)
But I decided to play it safe and lay down a premium grade plywood under the base cabinets to perfectly match the floor height. The floor will run just under the toe kicks so no moldings will be needed, and it will look the same as flooring under the cabinets.
That is exactly what I was planning to do. I was a little uncertain about what to do under the island I am installing. It will be a pretty small sq/ft that is actually under the cabinets. It just seemed a little over-kill to run the plywood under there.
Honestly at this point, I kinda wish I would have done a non-floating floor.
Why is that??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.