Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Installing Bamboo Flooring with Brad Nailer?

Hello all, i was curious if I can install 5/8 bamboo flooring using just a 18gauge brad nailer with 1.5" nails upon the tongues? I realize its going to be a pain to angle the nailer but i dont want to get caught up in doing this manually.

I realize people use specific flooring nailers but since bamboo is lower profile and supposedly breaks, im thinking nothing larger than 18 guage is suitable.

Also i have a vinyl floor over which im installing this which is glued down and i simply cant lift it up (there is 3/4 plywood subflooring underneath and this is above a crawl space). Can i install the flooring over the vinyl?

Thanks for your help, Cal
aaks38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #2

I am not going to comment on the nail issue.

But I will comment on putting your flooring over vinyl.

The key here is to make sure your transitions are not excessive. If you have a 1/2" transition then people could be tripping over it and this would be bad.

Take some of your flooring and put it on top of the vinyl next to the door into another room and see just how much of a difference there is. This will tell you if you can put the flooring over the vinyl.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

A proper transition strip between the rooms will take care of any offset as long as it isn't too much. Read the manufacturer's instructions for installation and follow them if you don't want to void your warranty.... I would not think 18 ga. brad nails would be acceptable for flooring, but I could be wrong. Can the product be installed as a "floating" floor?? No nailing involved there.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #4

I'm wondering if you've gotten your floor in and used a brad nailer? I'm getting ready to do the same and am hoping of saving myself the cost of a cleat nailer.

Thanks!
mikey1377 is offline   Reply With Quote