DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Install tile over vinyl

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  angus242 
#1 ·
Most say tile should not be installed over vinyl...That the vinyl and 1/4" plywood/luan should both be removed totally before installing backer board..Is this good advice?
If so what methods do you experts out there use to remove both vinyl and luan? Both are securely fastened to 3/4" OSB over 2X10 joists spaced 16" OC.
What size (thickness) and type (brand) of backer board should I use?
I do not care for wide grout lines.--Would prefer 1/8" width or less. Is there a "guideline" to follow re width of grout to size of tile? I'll be using 13x13 tiles on both floors and shower/bathtub walls.
Would I be sacrificing the overall structural integrity of the work by using 1/8" width or less grout lines?
Other than filling and sealing the space between tiles, does grout serve any other purpose?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Most say tile should not be installed over vinyl...That the vinyl and 1/4" plywood/luan should both be removed totally before installing backer board..Is this good advice?
Yes

If so what methods do you experts out there use to remove both vinyl and luan? Both are securely fastened to 3/4" OSB over 2X10 joists spaced 16" OC.
Elbow Grease! :laughing: It's not a quick job but can be done with patience, hammer, small pry bar, utility knife and knee pads! You'll understand about the knee pads the first time you kneel over one of the staples from the underlayment!

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/super-wonder-bar-0708.jpg

What size (thickness) and type (brand) of backer board should I use?
If floor height isn't an issue, consider using another layer of 5/8" ply, then 1/4" CBU (your choice of brand). I usually go with Hardi just because that's what I'm used to. Most guys have their own favorites but they all serve the same purpose. You are familiar with the procedure of installing CBU, right? Have you considered using Ditra instead of CBU?

I do not care for wide grout lines.--Would prefer 1/8" width or less. Is there a "guideline" to follow re width of grout to size of tile? I'll be using 13x13 tiles on both floors and shower/bathtub walls.
No official guidelines. I prefer no larger than 3/16" on a floor or 1/8" on a wall. That's just me.

Would I be sacrificing the overall structural integrity of the work by using 1/8" width or less grout lines?
No

Other than filling and sealing the space between tiles, does grout serve any other purpose?
No

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.