Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Finance Guy

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Install Laminate flooring story

Installed Alloc Laminate Tile flooring ... 2 day job to do kitchen, but looks great so far.

Last edited by Swimmfst; 07-20-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Swimmfst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #2

I am curious about your floor? Does it look good, have you finished? I am about to put down Shaw, laminate tiles in my kitchen. Am a little nervous, as I have an old dog that stays on kitchen floor all day. I am worried that his coat will impregnate the floor with a dander smell. He is 16 years old.

My husband and I have been holding off doing the floor, as were not sure its the right move with his presence in this room. One of our fears is because you cannot really clean the floor with harsh chemicals, and if he has an accident or just lays on the floor and makes it smell we will have a ruined product.

Any thoughts out there on this dilemna?

metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #3

We are about to start another laminate project and are picking out floors right now. Does alloc click together nicely. If anyone knows or has experience with a good locking floor that looks just like wood, please respond.

I was very pleased with kronotex, but that was in Florida, it is very expensive to have it shipped up here to NJ. Any thoughts let me know?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

metoo,

The nice thing about Laminate Floors is that, in a couple of years, if you change your mind or are unhappy with the mismatch of the floor choice and home wear and tear in that particular room ----- You can just take it up in a matter of a few hours.
--- as long as you don't mind the initial loss of investment, which isn't like the cost of real tile or hardwood.

Also, if you are unsure of the wear factor of that specific floor, visit a retail supply store that specializes in flooring and ask them about the issues that you're oncerned about and that you have mentioned in your post. See what they recommend as well. There are a number of manufacturers making a WIDE variety of laminate flooring now-a-days.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Talking

Thanks Atlantic, for your input, I will do that. But if anyone else is reading, let me know if you have put laminate down with pets, and if the odor thing becomes a problem. I did get the floor very cheap, it was a discontinued model, so I'm not worried about price, just concerned to ruin a brand new item.

We currently have tile in the kitchen and it is cracked, I only have 5 replacement tiles, and 14 are cracked. Instead of removing the tile, we thought we would just go over it with the laminate tile. BTW, what underlayment to use on top of tile? Not sure.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

metoo,

Like Laminate Flooring, there are many, many, MANY varieties of underlayment that can be used for installing under the laminate flooring.
You can spend a little, or spend a lot. There are some inexpensive ones made of thin foam, heavy foam, 3/16" foam, and even one that is made from recycled materials with a vapor barrier on the bottom side of it.

As far as the laminate flooring in a kitchen: The best one to use, has a glued edge to it. While installing it, you are to use an 'applicator'.
This applicator is a small bottle of water with a small foam wheel at the end of it.
You use this to run along the connecting edges of the flooring to activate the factory applied 'dried' glue. after the 2 parts are snapped together, it then, seals the flooring from moisture coming through at all the connection points. The surface material is also manufactured to not readily absorb light moisture as well.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #7

Sounds like a Pergo product to me.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #8

I have laminate on my kitchen floor, and my dobie lays in there all the time,guess its the coolest room, and we have had no problems with smell, it only takes a quick mop over during the day, but i cannot say about accidents as so far in 4 years mine hasnt had one (she is 14 years old). The one thing you must do that hasnt been mentioned is to seal the laminate anywhere there is water (along the cabinets base).

lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote