Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Install costs

Morning everyone, I just got a quote from a hardwood installer and he came in at $6/sq/ft for hardwood and $3.25/sq/ft for tile. We already have our hardwood and Tiles and thinset all the installer is supplying is underlay for the hardwood and nails. We are in Central alberta just outside of red deer, Does this seem like high pricing to anyone else? Oh ya, all the tiles are 12"x12" ceramic. Thank you for any input.

bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Tileguy

Install costs

Bronco,

I know it's was early when you posted the question...but. It might help to know if the size of the job is a few hundred or a few thousand sq. ft. Over what kind of floors. On first floor or upstairs. The specified type of wood and what kind of of tile, like regular 12" ceramic, porcelain or natural stone or?

I can easily tell you that $3.25 for ceramic if cheap unless it's a large job in a wide open room. What was the other quote you have received?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #3

Install costs

$3.25 for tile is cheap, and $6 for hardwood is really expensive. Is the hardwood area really small or complicated?
canuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #4

Install costs

Sorry about that, our house is a 4 level split with around 600sq/ft per floor. 3 rooms and a bath upstairs, 1 room main floor with tile going in kitchen and at 2 entry doors, 2 rooms on 3rd level with 300 per room with tile at entry door, and the basement which is concrete with 2 bedrooms and a bath and laundry storage area. Basement bath is going to be tile on the floor 65sq/ft and tile tub surround. The 3 other floors are 3/4 osb t&g. Hope I didn't confuse ya'll but hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

Install costs

Unless you have a lot of odd angles in your home, or are asking for a special installation with the hardwood (ie. herringbone), $6/sq ft is WAY over the top. In Ontario the going rate is $2-3.50 depending on where you live. Honestly, $6 is insane for a straight forward hardwood install.
canuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #6

Install costs

Thanks for the reply. We had thought the guy had his prices backwards $6 for tile and $3.25 for hardwood but nope that was what he had said. Yup all the guys that we have got quotes from since have been between $2.75 - $3.35sq/ft for hardwood and the tile is all over the map, from $2.75 up to $8.00sq/ft. And no there isn't a whole bunch of angles there is one 3/4 octagon in the kitchen but that is it.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Tileguy

Install costs

OK, the hardwood labor is pretty cut n dry and we can't help much on that. But the info you gave about the tile installation needs clarification.

The ranges of $2.75 - $8.00 is not correct. No way that is for installing tiles using the same method. The lower price is for just the installation of your tiles. The $8.00, I am positive, includes the cement backer too, and all labor of course....right? You do know that you don't want tile set direct on plywood, don't you?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

Install costs

No I didn't know that. I know it is alright to install directly on concrete isnt it, but I thought you could use plywood on top of o.s.b subfloor and go ahead with the tiling.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Tileguy

Install costs

It's done that way all the time.....but we call those guys HACKS!

How was the 8 buck guy doing it?

Jaz

Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #10

Install costs

Hey Jazz. the $8 guy was going to use ditra on the bathroom floor and kerdi on the walls in the bathroom. Is it neccesary to apply the ditra on the o.s.b. subfloor. On the quote there is 3 sheets of 1/2" plywood, I would imagine that is for the floors on the o.s.b. subfloor. Can you fill me in on why you don't use the plywood so I can ask the guy a few questions to see if he is really as good as he is charging for. Thanks Jazz.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #11

Install costs

do you want your bathroom/shower to last 50 years, or 10? this is the difference between ditra/kerdi and no proper underlay. here you see the reflection of the quotes.

it would be helpful if your contractors explained WHY they do it in such a way so you can better understand where the costs are coming from. then you can ask the low price guy "why are you NOT doing it this way".

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #12

Install costs

wah! it's a big cost to me in china ,that price can't be accept for chinese people. very interested in your project.
silence xu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Tileguy

Install costs

Plywood shrinks & expands all the time and is not a very good way to go. It can work in some cases if everything is done just right and if the wood never gets wet. In most cases you either have to add a second sheet of plywood anyway, so why spend $$$ on ply when a CBU or membrane such as Ditra is so much better? You sometimes have to do both, when the subfloor is not adequate.

Without reading the entire thread again, which wouldn't help that much anyway because labor costs are relative to where you are, (ask our Chinese friend where a low-level office worker with a degree makes about $265 USD per month and of course works 6 days a week).

I would say Ditra installed in a good size area is worth about $3.00 a sq. ft. (I'm getting less right now, but that's a different story). I charge more for Kerdi installed because it's smaller areas and more difficult to work with.

In a perfect world $8 per sq. ft. for labor and CBU or Ditra is not too much. Heck, Lowes charges $12.59 with 1/4" CBU and standard labor for tile, and tell you the truth, I wouldn't trust most of their guys to tile a dog house.

Has anyone checked the framing and spans to verify the subfloor system is stiff enough for tiles?

Ditra or CBU over 3/4" OSB meets minimun requirements fot the subfloor, but adding the 1/2" ply is better. Sounds like your tile-guy is a keeper!

Jaz

Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #14

Install costs

Thank you for all the help Jazman.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Tileguy

Install costs

Quote:
our house is a 4 level split with around 600sq/ft per floor. 3 rooms and a bath upstairs, 1 room main floor with tile going in kitchen and at 2 entry doors, 2 rooms on 3rd level with 300 per room with tile at entry door, and the basement which is concrete with 2 bedrooms and a bath and laundry storage area. Basement bath is going to be tile on the floor 65sq/ft and tile tub surround.
bronco2,
You had better grab that installer at those prices and be glad you have him. Yours is one of the more chopped up jobs around.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote