Input On Flooring Options... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Input on flooring options...

Had old parquet hardwood floors removed... installer scrapped up the old cutback/black mastic but the concrete slab still has it stained black. Wagner RH says the RH is 85%.

I know I can't glue the new engineered wood down to the slab directly since the glue wont bond with cutback/black mastic so not sure what my options are.

The moisture level is too high to seal with Ardex Feather Finish or something similar and since the cutback/black mastic still there on the concrete slab I can roll over with moisture mitigation treatment.

Am I just left with floating the floor? If so what should I use to ensure that the float will have a proper vapor barrier up to and over 85%?

If I am gluing I want Mirage Engineered, if I am floating I want Mirage Locking.

Thanks!

Advertisement

7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

I had the same problem w/out the high moisture at my daughters... but actually I was not confident the ardex would adhere to the cutback...WAS I WRONG????

Furthermore I had a wavy slab. I ended up doing a lot of padding with a 1/2 engineered product which I call a glue-UP.... TnG that is glued as opposed to click lock.... giving a firmer floor. I just used a normal (I think Shaw) underlayment.

What is difference between Mirage Engineered and their Locking. (Is locking the plastic? What kind of joinery... click or TnG)

There is an underlayment that has kinda bubbles on the bottom that you lap up behind baseboard and is supposed to mitigate slab moisture thru in effect a ventilating effect. I don't know it's effectiveness, or remember its name.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #3

I am not sure if you are wrong about the Ardex to Cutback, that is just what I have read on other flooring forums; that it works great.

Mirage Engineered has a tongue and grove but not locking. The Mirage Locking like it says "Locks" into another one. I can't glue the Mirage Engineered as a floating in the width I want, only 5" which I dont want.

I think you are talking about Delta FL?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #4

Anyone have other ideas?