Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #1

Share |

I'm seeing lots of examples of hardwood in kitchens and bathrooms

Everything I've read said don't do it but browsing around houzz.com and I see tons and tons of pictures of kitchens and bathrooms having hardwood floors. Am I missing something?

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

you just have to be a lot more carefull with it. get any spills up ASAP !!!

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Everything I've read said don't do it but..
Am I missing something?
Wood floors look nice and designers like that.
They don't have to live with it though.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

i put engineered in my last kitchen. no problems over 2 years i had it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-24-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i put engineered in my last kitchen. no problems over 2 years i had it.
A whole two years? Wow.

Check back in twenty years.
We'll compare condition notes vs vinyl sheet.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

hardwood floors anywhere need proper care. In kitchens more so mainly because of the more wear and tear they get. If your refer/dishwasher/or sink leak it will reak havoc on your hardwood floors. They only type of floor it wont is tile with the proper backer board... Within reason of course. Be realistic here...water will damage ANYTHING in your home if left to long. Bathrooms are a little more risky because you get out of the shower wet and drip all over the place. If you are the type of person that drys themselves in the shower and have a decent fan...go for it. Engineerd flooring is more stable then solid wood floors BUT...it is staill wood and wood and water do not mix. Laminant floors structure is HDf and in my opinion should only be used as a cheap alternative for anything. Laminent surface is very durable tho. Key word SURFACE.
skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Hardwood floors in kitchens are just fine.. We do it all the time and I have them in the kitchen of my own home. As the other guy mentioned they can be more susceptible to water damage. The main things I see go wrong it kitchens are when people get new appliances the installers either kink the water line on the fridges ice maker or dishwasher.. Then the water slowly leaks and slowly causes the floors to cup/buckle... With proper care and maintenance wood floors in kitchens are fine. I would not do them in a full bath, but we do them in half baths all the time, also with no issues.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awoodfloorguy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-24-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

As I posted in another thread, I put laminate in my kitchen. I chose that because I have kids so I knew the chairs and tables would be scooted across the floor and that's not a problem for a laminate surface. And I talked to a few reps and they all told me water wouldn't be a problem as long as I wipe up any spills. They said the laminate surface is resistant to water. Of course I knew long term water exposure would damage any wood floor, so I just made sure to be careful of spills.

What I later found was sometimes small bits of snow or rain would drop off my kids' clothes and I wouldn't notice that on the floor. And if that landed right along the joints, the water would get absorbed into the flooring. Now I have several small, swollen spots where two pieces meet.
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have pulled antique hardwood floors out of old farmhouses that had served the places well for over 100 years. In one case, I did a light planing and sanding of a maple floor with a marked mill date of 1895 and put it back down in a new kitchen renovation and it looked gorgeous. It had never been sanded before. Properly cared for, it will last another 100 years.

Real quality bamboo---not box store or LL crap---also makes a great kitchen floor. Bamboo is harder than most domestic hardwoods and can be dyed many colors. Strand composite bamboo engineered flooring is stronger still.

We got away from wood in the kitchen with the coming of no-wax vinyls and argh, icky, laminates. You do have to finish hardwoods properly including a coat of the manufacturer's recommended clear finish once installed (if putting in pre-finished). Vacuuming anything gritty is mandatory. Waxing and buffing every few years is not a bad idea either.

That said, you really have to pick flooring for the kind of use and abuse it is likely to suffer. If you have kids and pets that are going to drag, drop and otherwise challenge flooring hardwood may not be your best kitchen option.

Last edited by user1007; 04-20-2013 at 01:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Ryan,
I had solid hardwood oak floors in my kitchen for 15 years and never had a single problem -- they are fabulous in the kitchen.
Now in a newer home and just had pre-finished engineered hardwood oak floors (glued directly onto concrete slab with vapor/moisture barrier), 5" planks, installed in my kitchen. Love them.
I don't think you can go wrong with hardwood and/or engineered hardwood in your kitchen.
repairlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

I love hardwood floors, but having multiple large dogs and all, it just isn't workable, so the only room in my house with wood, parquet, is the front parlor and my modelling studio, all the rest of the floors are white grade 5 commercial porcellain tile installed over 1/2" cement board over 2 layers of 3/4" CDX.
I've been very happy with the tile and no worries about scratching from toe nails or chairs, pebbles stuck to the bottom of my shoe etc.
Since the basement is heated, the tile is comfortably warm normally.

I think the first time you are at work and the kitchen sink water supply pipe springs a leak or something, that laminate or wood floor is toast.
I did have a water leak once when one of the dogs managed to turn on the bathroom sink faucet full wide, it was running several hours and had overflowed the sink. The water wound up confined to a small area in the bathroom and ran down into the basement where there is a floor drain right there.
The water did no damage at all, the tile floor had no problems, if it was a wood or laminated floor I'm sure it would have been ruined, and we all know it's inevitable a pipe or fitting will leak or someone will plug up the drain and there will be an overflow.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

I have 3 dogs, and hardwood in every room except the bathroom. NO problems. Don't be a slob and you'll be fine. You're on a DIY site, you should know how to take care of your home.
TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-24-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I have 3 dogs, and hardwood in every room except the bathroom. NO problems. Don't be a slob and you'll be fine. You're on a DIY site, you should know how to take care of your home.
Chihuahuas or "carpet sharks" as I call them, don't count as real dogs
My dogs are indoors all the time, not outdoors and in once in a while for 15 minutes, besides, they are well over 125# each and play hard, they also drink (spill, and drool) plenty of water on the floor, and they've knocked over the water bucket a time or two over the years.
I don't want to refinish or replace wood floors every 5 years due to scratches and wear, thus, porcellain tile RULZ in my house!
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
registered

Kitchen is ok. Bathroom noway. Moisture will fry a wood floor.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #15

Would it be possible to put down a laminate floor, then coat it with some sort of polyurethane or water resistant coating?

r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote