Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |

Identifying & Removing Adhesive From Hardwood

I'm refinishing treads on a hardwood staircase and it's is giving me some unexpected problems.

The treads all have rubber non-skid mats on them. After I popped out all the nails that I *thought* were holding the mats in place, I found a thick layer of adhesive underneath.

The sheer volume of goop probably means I have to start with a scraper, but after that I'm stuck because I don't know what the stuff is - can it be sanded, does it need a solvent, what kind of solvent, etc. Are there any rules of thumb to make a reasonable guess?

If it helps, the adhesive is light tan. As I peel back the mat, the adhesive stretches and gets stringy. It turns whiter the farther it stretches.
gohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Handyman

Hard to say without knowing what the adhesive is but you can try either using a heat gun and a scraper or apply some paint remover and try scraping after it sits a while. Either way try either on a small section to start.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadaclub For This Useful Post:
gohanman (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
the Musigician

Light tan color squeaks of PL Construction Adhesive. In any case though, you are correct, scrape the heck out of it first.
Since you're refinishing, (a good thing too!) you might be able to scrape it down as far as possible, then sand off the remaining film to get to the wood.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMouse For This Useful Post:
gohanman (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks. I guess scraping + sanding will be attack tactic number one.
gohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Dm is correct . try using a open cut paper first so as not to gum up the paper , then switch to the same grit regular paper , then skip one grit till you get to the final grit .[ 3 1/2 open, 3 1/2 closed , 60 , 80 100. ]. then 100 grit screen to remove any scratches from the paper . sand with the grain.
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Floor Doc For This Useful Post:
gohanman (01-06-2011)