Identifying Existing Flooring Tiles? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Identifying existing flooring tiles?

We pulled up the carpet in a bedroom, planning to redo the floor with some very cheap (33c/sqft) stick on vinyl tiles. They aren't fantastic quality, but we did another bedroom with them, and were very happy with the results.
Under the carpet, we found tiles! They seem to be some kind of adhesive tile.. not sure if they're lino or vinyl? Concerned about asbestos?
The carpet underlay was very stuck, and has left black marks/stains on the floor. Can we restore the floor? Can we just stick the new vinyl tiles on top? How would we prep it to do so? Can we remove the tiles (without dying of asbestos-inhalation)?
Help!

Advertisement

hdsheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

The only way to determine if they are asbestos is to have them tested. Any installed up thru the early 90's have a good chance of containing asbestos. The adhesive also probably contains asbestos and more than the tiles.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

So, if it does contain asbestos, just cleaning/restoring the floor (or, if possible, installing new tile on top) shouldn't be a health concern, right? Tearing it up, would be?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
So, if it does contain asbestos, just cleaning/restoring the floor (or, if possible, installing new tile on top) shouldn't be a health concern, right? Tearing it up, would be?
Correct.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

As long as you don't sand it. ..........You can take it up and scrape up the adhesive with little danger as long as you keep it wet during removal, if you need to remove it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

All very good info. Given that..
The carpet underlay was very stuck, and has left black marks/stains on the floor. Can we restore the floor? Can we just stick the new vinyl tiles on top? How would we prep it to do so? Can we tell if it's vinyl or lino? Does it matter?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

The old black adhesives were petroleum-based and I'm sure have stained the tile. I'm thinking you'll never get those stains out. Shouldn't matter if it is vinyl or linoleum. You should be able to apply the new tiles directly to what's there. No particular preparation should be necessary as long as the surface is flat and dry and clean.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #8

It's not adhesives (i think?) but just residue from the black foam underlay that was under the carpet. It's kind of like tiny bits of foam? Really tiny.. And stuck. To the tiles.
We're going to stick down a few tiles and leave them for a few days to be sure they seem to be sticking well, before doing the whole room, I think. In one area where the existing tile broke and came up, I think we'll just cover it with a new tile and hope it's okay..

Advertisement