Ideas On Laminate Flooring Products In Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas on Laminate Flooring Products in kitchen

Like many, I have debated whether I would do the "lazy" way and put tile down over my existing linoleum floor in the kitchen which is what the wife wants. I told her it is an awful lot of work, and would rather look at installation of an "approved or acceptable" floating flooring as to be simple, and provide a new floor for her. I don't have a lot of traffic in the kitchen, but do have the risk of possible leaks from dishwasher or sink if something possibly would go wrong. (Murphy is always there).

I am not going through the pains of ripping up existing, and prep work for the tiles. So am down to either a nice wooden floor, or just have someone come in and put more linoleum down. I don't find much use in putting vinyl tiles of linoleum as again, the prep work to remove the wax and gloss is tough when you don't have the time and manpower to complete. (well, I am not going to complete on the "bosses" schedule....

Would like to know if anyone has tried a floating or even a glued floor in their kitchens and any recommendations? bang for the buck, when I compare my time and effort to materials, I want to do the K.I.S.S mode. I just don't have the time and am not 20 anymore. But want to keep the "boss" happy. It is her kitchen..

Thanks

Alan

Advertisement

adeyoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

We just remodeled our home and took up all carpet and installed hardwood floors in family room, sun room, hallway and mbr. We put 18x18 ceramic floor tiles in kitchen, utility room,and bathrooms. We were going to put hardwood in those areas but water and wood just don't get along. This weekend we had a leak under kitchen sink in the early a.m., and water stood at that area for several hours. Thank goodness we have ceramic tile there.

Advertisement

archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

I just installed laminate floating flooring (engineered, not real hardwood) in the whole condo, left out the kitchen to decide on while we did other renovations... now we are redoing kitchen... was just oging to do the laminate there (for the same reasons you mentioned ... time, manpower, etc), but am a bit leery of the water... be curious to see other's advice/opinions...
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

I was looking at some Wilsonart products that were getting good praise for the floor, and are suitable for kitchen areas. But who knows!

This is the product I am looking at. might go check it out at one of the local flooring stores. Maybe with memorial day, I can get a discount being a retired veteran at some stores. (never hurts to ask). And not always a big box fan for buying stuff.

http://www.wilsonart.com/

Anyone familiar with the Wilson Laminate products for flooring? (I only know them from counter tops.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Wilsonart is a good brand. I put down some Dupont in a kitchen with lots of traffic, including dogs and three years later it looks brand new yet.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, will check it out. Nice work you do. Sometiimes I just wish I was as wise, but 20 years younger to do the things I use to with the wisdom and patience I have now.

Appreciate the info

Alan

Advertisement