I Want To Install Laminate Plank Flooring But Have Problem With Sub Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I want to install laminate plank flooring but have problem with sub floor

Hello

I want to install laminate plank flooring in my kitchen ...I have a 8ft span from the support beam to the kitchen wall ...with proper joist every 16" ... from the beam a dip starts and the deepest dip is 1/2" There is already 1/4 " plywood on top of this part of the floor ... I ripped out 3/4" hardwood floor on the other half of the room and there is no 1/4" plywood there only the 3/4 "main floor ... The deepest dip on this side is 1/4" ... This room was seperated with a wall and I took down the wall to make the kitchen bigger ... What is the easiest way I can level these dips on both sides of this room without ripping the main floor out ... I want to lay 1/4" plywood but how do I get rid of the dips ??

Thank you ...In the Bush

Advertisement

Last edited by In the Bush; 04-26-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Misunderstood
In the Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Oldie but Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Bush View Post
Hello

I want to install laminate plank flooring in my kitchen ...I have a 8ft span from the support beam to the kitchen wall ... at the deepest point of this span there is a half inch dip in the floor ... There is already 1/4 " plywood on top of this part of the floor ... I ripped out 3/4" hardwood floor on the other half of the room and there is no 1/4" plywood there ... The deepest dip on this side is 1/4" ... This room was seperated with a wall and I took down the wall to make the kitchen bigger ... What is the easiest way I can level these dips on both sides of this room without ripping the main floor out ???

Thank you ...In the Bush

The 3/4 hardwood probably helped provide support that kept the other side from sinking as much.

Need more info.

Are you saying you have an 8-foot interval between your floor joists?

What is your subfloor made of? How is it constructed? Is it 2x tongue-and-groove over 8-foot spans?

If so, you could probably put down a good layer of plywood (3/4-inch?) and then "float" your floor using a floor leveling compound. It wouldn't be an elegant solution, but it would probably do the job.

I'd sure consider going underneath and adding some support. If you don't want to crawl around, cut a hole in the subfloor to get at it.

Advertisement

Last edited by LookoutRanch; 04-26-2009 at 01:57 PM.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

What's causing the dips?? Can you access from underneath and see if you may have some broken floor joists? If so, you can jack them back up and "scab" new 2"x material on to correct the problem....
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I had a similar problem on a job I did, a glue down wood job.
You will need a belt sander and maybe a jig saw to cut some luan. (1/4 inch plywood,Home depot)
Find the low area with a straight edge.
Cut the luan to fit inside it, then sand the edges down with the belt sander
with a coarse grit.
I used PL 200 construction adhesive and drywall screws to secure the plywood.
Keep checking with the straight edge until it looks good.
It can be a lot of work, but prep work usually is.

Good Luck
Lamman
Lamman is offline   Reply With Quote