I Think I Got Hosed By Inconsistent Tile Sizes - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

i think I got hosed by inconsistent tile sizes

Been using 3/16" spacers (those 4-corner type or whatever they're called). After putting nine 13x13 tiles and spacing them, I noticed other spaces had came apart by 1/16, and essentially threw the whole line off. It's also evident by the fact that some tiles, while butted up against spacers that are on a perfectly straight line, and even those corner spaces, stick out an extra 1/16" (and the only explanation I have for this is that the tile sizes aren't exact).

With a 3/16" line, can grout hide this issue? I'll get pictures up tomorrow if needed (gonna let them finish setting, just to see how bad it gets). Had a couple of good boxes with the same size, and then this box has whatever size they felt like putting in. >

Advertisement

Last edited by Tonglebeak; 09-30-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

That happens---that's why most floors are laid without spacers--just eyeballed into a grid drawn onto the floor.

Always check the batch numbers on the tile boxes----that helps but is no guarantee that the tiles will all be the same size.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Quote:
Maybe. How much were the tiles each or sq. ft.?

Even with high quality tiles spacers can cause problems. I've never used spacers when installing floor tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

It happens! I've been preaching for years that spacers aren't necessary and will only get people into trouble. Fired-clay tiles can always vary in size and what you pay for them doesn't mean a thing unless you cough-up an extra buck for "rectified tiles".

Layout a grid with chalk lines and lay the tiles according to the chalk line grid. If you have to fudge one now and then fudge it, but use your eyeball to do so. Stop expecting perfection because it isn't going to happen. The imperfection is part of the charm of real ceramic tiles. If you want perfection install a vinyl floor covering.

The grout will help but now that you are aware of the errors you will still see them immediately.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It happens! I've been preaching for years that spacers aren't necessary and will only get people into trouble. Fired-clay tiles can always vary in size and what you pay for them doesn't mean a thing unless you cough-up an extra buck for "rectified tiles".

Layout a grid with chalk lines and lay the tiles according to the chalk line grid. If you have to fudge one now and then fudge it, but use your eyeball to do so. Stop expecting perfection because it isn't going to happen. The imperfection is part of the charm of real ceramic tiles. If you want perfection install a vinyl floor covering.

The grout will help but now that you are aware of the errors you will still see them immediately.
Thanks. If perfection isn't expected with tiling, then I feel better. I'll just have to try to correct it with either the next row, or the rows that will go under the island. If the grout will help, thank god, but yes, I will always notice those errors lol. It's probably going to be one of those things where I'm the only one who will see the problem (I hope)
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
If the grout will help, thank god, but yes, I will always notice those errors lol. It's probably going to be one of those things where I'm the only one who will see the problem (I hope)
Or be like me have to make an effort not to tell everyone who comes in
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

"Never apologize until someone complains."(Abigail VanBuran : Dear Abby)

Advertisement