DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I need advice on installing self-adhesive floor tiles

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kjwoodworking 
#1 ·
Hi. This is my first time posting here. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. We had to pull up the carpet in the hallway of our home because I couldn't stand the odor coming from it any longer. We had cats in the past that preferred it to their litter box.

Due to financial restrictions, my husband and I decided that we would go with what I refer to as a "temporary, indefinite fix". We are going to install some of the self-adhesive floor tiles. Our dilemma in installing these tiles is where to measure and snap the chalk lines for lining up the tiles.

The hallway is in a T shape. The hallway is not the same width at one end as it is on the other end of either part of the T. (The builders didn't do a very good job of squaring up their work.) The top part of the T has six doors leading to bedrooms, closets and bathroom. The bottom of the T has one closet door in it. The bottom part of the T stops at the foyer which has parquet type wood flooring.

The instructions that came with the tile said to draw a line 12" to the wall that is farthest from the door. I can't exactly do that since there are so many doors. I thought about measuring the line 12" from the wall that makes the top part of the T, but then I run into the problem with the walls not being square. Is this still the best place to start? If I do this, then I will have partial pieces meeting up with the foyar floor. Will this look alright? I plan to put a wood piece down where the two different flooring meet to give it a "professional" finished look.

Also, should I mark a chalk line down the center of the bottom part of the T to cross with the line on the top part of the T?

I hope all this make sense and that someone out there can help me. Thanks in advance for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Peel 'n' Stick tiles

Hello,

Probably the best bet (without me seeing it firsthand) would be to find the center of each hallway and start where the two centerlines meet. Place a tile on each side of the center line and run with it. You'll have to do more cutting in, but it will probably look the best that way.

Dan

#3 ·
I would check the local flooring stores for linoleum remnants. Some times you can pick up a good looking piece at a reasonable price. I just hate to see someone use peel-n-stick unless they have no other choice.

If you can find a piece of linoleum don't be intimidated, it is easy to install. Rough cut it to size to fit your hall. Then without getting of of it roll one half back length wise. keep your weight on it so it doesn't move and spread floor adhesive with a trowel on that half of hall and roll the linoleum back down on the adhesive. Now roll the other side up and spread adhesive on that side making sure not to miss any spots with the adhesive. Roll that side down, rub any air bubbles out, and use a utility knife to trim around the edges.

After doing this you would be at the same step if you had just stuck the last tile down only with a full sheet of coverage instead of individual tiles that will start peeling up. Lowe's or Home Depot employees will help you with question you may have. I think they even offer how to classes for home owners.

Hope this helps and I didn't add confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.