Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I have hardwood floors...

I just pulled up the powder blue wall to wall carpet in my "new to me" house and discovered I have hard wood floors. They are dull in some places and I was wondering has anyone ever heard of or tried rejuvenate? My options are to try it and see if it does what it claims to do or purchase area rugs to cover the dull spots. I just do not want wall to wall carpeting.

ndbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

sanding is a great possibility.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

HOLD ON!!!!!

Is it full dimension hardwood or is it engineered hardwood.

Full dimension hardwood can be beautifully refinished many times, engineered hardwood may or may not be able to be refinished. The top veneer is very thin on some of those products and it takes a skilled wood floor refinisher to know what to do.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 PM   #4

I had someone suggest that I rent a sander from home depot, I just don't trust that this is something I should take on alone. My DIY experience is limited to hanging pictures...LOL. I have looked into having it professionally done but, that is expensive.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #5

The house was built in 1927 and the floors are original to the house. That is all I know about them.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
The house was built in 1927 and the floors are original to the house.
OK that's great. If you are sure the floors are original to the construction of the house then that tells me the floors are full-dimension hardwood and can be sanded. Many times.

My suggestion however is to hire a pro. You don't sound too confident and I'll be straight-up with you. A drum sander is the primary tool used to refinish those floors and I guarantee you a drum sander is no toy and your floors are no place to practice. You can do great damage in very short order with one of those things. Then there's the edge sander and knowing what sanding papers to use when and where. How about filler? Do the floors require any fillers? Are you going to stain the wood after it is sanded. Will screening be required prior to staining? What kind of finish product do want to use? What type of finish appearance do you desire?

GET MY DRIFT ND?

If you haven't noticed it by now I am trying to discourage you doing this on your own, there is more to it than renting a sander.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbuffalo View Post
I just pulled up the powder blue wall to wall carpet in my "new to me" house and discovered I have hard wood floors. They are dull in some places and I was wondering has anyone ever heard of or tried rejuvenate? My options are to try it and see if it does what it claims to do or purchase area rugs to cover the dull spots. I just do not want wall to wall carpeting.
A friend of mine just used a rejuvenator/polish on his recently discovered hardwood. For a few $$ and some elbow grease he had good results. Not sure what product he used, if I find out I will post.

I plan on doing the same thing, if I dont get the results I want with a "wipe-on" product, its off to the local hardwood store for some estimates. Ive used floor scrubbers for cleaning, if the sanders are anything like em, I would probably sand through to the basement or put it through a wall
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Tileguy

I should probably add that in some cases all that is required would be a light screening and new finish.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #9

Bud Cline, you have definitely suceeded in discouraging me from doing it myself. LOL. Since, having it professionally done is not in the budget right now I have been busy taking the staples out of all 650+ square feet of it. Not quite done yet. BTW, what is screening?

mgarfield....I am actually going to try a product called Rejuvenate. You can look it up on line and buy the actual restorer at Home Depot. They don't sell the recommended cleaning stuff so, I am going to use a Minwax product. The guy at Home Depot says that many of his customers swear by the Rejuvenate. If it works that will be wonderful, if not it only set me back $60. Also, I can be quite crafty with area rugs and furniture placement.