DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I damaged the finish on my hardwood floor!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
So here's the scenerio.
Husband out of town. Wife trying to be helpful and surprise him by having the carpet in the den cleaned.
Wife didn't really think this through and had to move all the furniture herself to the foyer which has hardwood floors.
Wife dragged an armchair on the hardwood and put a big, very noticable scratch in the hardwood.
Panicing, she went to a youtube site which said to sand with steel wool, restain and then put on a finish.
Scratch was deep. Wife got a little enthusiastic with the sanding.

So this is the place I am now. The stain looks good - if you stand above the scratch. Then you can't see it at all - but the moment you're at an angle, there's a very, very noticable dull stripe on the floor. I tried putting down satin polyurethene but now what I've got is a shiny stripe with a dull stripe through the center of it.

And my husband's coming home tomorrow. So much for trying to help him out.
Can you help me out?

#7 ·
:laughing::laughing::laughing: I find pairing the wine and 'sleep wear' with properly timed honesty works well. As in: By the way honey, before we go :whistling2:, I messed up the floor a bit when I cleaned the carpets.

Works every time. :icon_cheesygrin:

#2 ·
Lasa - you're the wife, right? Hopefully, the flooring guys will jump on and help. A picture or two would really help.

I hate it when things like this happen. Check out my trying-to-help-the-husband-but-it-all-went-terribly-wrong-thread:Seriously, Honey, I was just trying to help.... :whistling2:

But big mistakes is part of how we learn.

Chances are there is nothing to be done before tomorrow. Be honest with the hubby and you two will figure it out, with some help from us. :thumbup:

#5 ·
thanks for the reply
1) the shiny part is shinier than the rest of the floor.
2) The house is only about 9 years old, so not too old. It's a cherrywood floor, so there's a lot of variation in color.
3) no wax.

I 'fessed up to my husband on the phone and he was great about it, as I knew he would be - but told me NOT TO DO ANYTHING ELSE until he saw it. But it might be good to have a plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.