Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

I accidentally "face-stapled" my flooring

I accidentally drove a staple into the face of my prefinished hardwood flooring. I would pull up the whole piece, but I find that I end up loosening the surrounding wood when I pry up a board. I'm looking for a creative idea to remove or hide the staple. The crown of the staple was left standing slightly proud but not so proud that it leaves enough of a gap to for me pry it up with a screwdriver. What do you think about a 300 lb. rare earth magnet?

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #2

do you have additional flooring already fastenened around this piece? face nailing happens, but I think the best way to remedy it is to get that piece out of their. Since it is prefinished your gonna have the holes to contend with. Use a FEIN multimaster, or similiar and you shouldnt have any damage to the surrounding boards

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
msv
Hardwood pro

or you can use a nail set to drive it below the surface and fill the hole with a color putty... but i find it hard to believe that you can't replace that single board without loosening the surrounding. I usually cut the middle of the board out with a skill saw, paying attention not to touch the boards around it. You make two cuts down the middle of the board, almost from end to end. Then, you take the cuts all the way with a multimax or a Rotozip. Then, you chisel the remaining portion of the wood out. You cut the new board to size, remove the lower groove side, and put it in using liquid nails and a couple of brad nails on top. You fill the nail holes with color putty and you're done.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

why didnt you take that board out as soon as you missed?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by What have I done View Post
do you have additional flooring already fastenened around this piece? face nailing happens, but I think the best way to remedy it is to get that piece out of their. Since it is prefinished your gonna have the holes to contend with. Use a FEIN multimaster, or similiar and you shouldnt have any damage to the surrounding boards
This plank is installed next to two others. I do have a Fein multimaster, so I guess I could cut off the tongue portion with the plunge cut blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
or you can use a nail set to drive it below the surface and fill the hole with a color putty... but i find it hard to believe that you can't replace that single board without loosening the surrounding. I usually cut the middle of the board out with a skill saw, paying attention not to touch the boards around it. You make two cuts down the middle of the board, almost from end to end. Then, you take the cuts all the way with a multimax or a Rotozip. Then, you chisel the remaining portion of the wood out. You cut the new board to size, remove the lower groove side, and put it in using liquid nails and a couple of brad nails on top. You fill the nail holes with color putty and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
why didnt you take that board out as soon as you missed?
I haven't added any boards since I goofed up the staple in question, which was unfortunately the last one I drove into this board.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #6

cut the bad board . Make butterfly wings . Then cut the wings , Or X shape . If you cut reall close to the end you don't need a Fein . Just chisel the end of the X , When you replace the board , Set the table saw so you cut ONLY the under side of the groove . Cut the toungue off the end , Cut the underside groove off the other end , All you will have left is the lengthwise toungue . And the top groove of the other side , NOW THE TRICKY PART . Set the table saw at about a 15 degree angle .Then shave a little off the under side of the top groove off , Or in other words the sharp corner of the underside of the top groove, You will have to play with the guide on the table saw a little so you don't cut the finished surface , Then use wood glue , If you do this perfectly you can drop it in with a rubber mallet , Id it is too hard to get in shave a Tiny bit off the undere side of the top groove m If ypou can't finda perfect match length to replace it with , Then you will have to cut one down . VERY SLOW on the chop saw so you don't splinter it , Then take a file and run it downward on the cut , Stain it too match , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #7

i think the 300 lb rare earth magnet is the way to go as you first suggested
Old 05-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
i think the 300 lb rare earth magnet is the way to go as you first suggested
Darn. I just hacked up a beautiful piece of wood with my Fein Multimaster. Maybe I'll give it a try next time. If I get a chance to use one on some scrap, I'll let you know the results.

Last edited by benjamincall; 05-01-2010 at 07:27 PM.