Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Husband and Wife About to Kill Each Other - Please Settle.

Hi All,

We're laying a cork floor today and are about to self-destruct. Please help!

We have two options for laying the tile, which the manufacturer says is best done with "jagged edges" or no straight lines:

Option 1: Brick-like pattern. In our small bathroom, this will result in cut tiles along the edges.

Option 2: No pattern per se. Start in one corner with a whole tile, lay along the wall. At the end of that row, start with another whole tile, and come back towards original tile.

811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't understand. This is a preference point. It's about what you want.

Example: Ceramic tile: You can tile a shower or a kitchen backsplash. You can do it diagonally, subway tile look, or grid pattern. The same can be said for tiling a floor. The layout and design is simply up to your personal taste.

There is no way we can tell you what you own personal taste is. It's about what you want.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't understand option 2. Do they just want you to start the second row the the cutoff from the end of row one? This would probably better better becouse it would give a more random look.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

If all you need is someone to decide, here you go... Option 1. There. done. now get to work and lay that cork floor.
msv (03-05-2010)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
the Musigician

If all you need is someone to decide, here you go... Option 2. There. done. now get to work and lay that cork floor.

-=chuckle=-

DM
Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Tileguy

Are you sure the instructions say "jagged edges"? I would think they would say "staggered edges".

You can do it either way, but make sure you do not use the wall as "the" guide. Check for squareness, you'll probably find the room is at least a little off. If you don't plan it right you may end up adding slivers of tile.

Also be sure to follow all the directions, especially for the adhesive. I believe that adhesive has to "set-up" before you lay the tiles? And.....don't they want the glue applied to the floor and the backs of the tiles too? YIKES! that could get messy?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #7

I would lay it staggered. If you need a great reason why to help settle it, then here you go:
laying it with 4 corners of the tiles meeting will make those corners more sensitive to damage.
Staggereing (brick) will not align all 4 corners together making it a bit more stable.
I believe the library of congress layed them staggered over 100 years ago.

Hope it helps.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #8

That couple has bigger problems than getting tile laid.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
msv (03-05-2010)
Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #9

Floor tiles are installed from the center and on out! Never start at the wall!
For instance, if the floor is 58" wide and your tiles are 12". It will require four full tiles (48") the remaining 10" is divided in half, making the edge tiles to be 5" each.
Off-set or staggered tiles are best as any variation between rows cannot be seen by the eye.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
Tileguy

Wildie,

I would not install tiles like you described in this 58" wide room. Instead of having four full tiles with 5" pieces on both walls, I would install 3 full tiles with 11" tiles at each wall.

This is a good example why starting from the center is wrong. You can start from "near" the center, but not necessarily the exact center.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Wildie,

I would not install tiles like you described in this 58" wide room. Instead of having four full tiles with 5" pieces on both walls, I would install 3 full tiles with 11" tiles at each wall.

This is a good example why starting from the center is wrong. You can start from "near" the center, but not necessarily the exact center.

Jaz
Hi Jaz, a valid point in this example. Why I picked 58" as an example was pure chance!
My point that I was attempting to make was the tiles on each side would be equal.
It would be poor form if they started at the wall and ended up with a 10" tile against the opposite side!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811Gibbon View Post
Hi All,

We're laying a cork floor today and are about to self-destruct. Please help!

We have two options for laying the tile, which the manufacturer says is best done with "jagged edges" or no straight lines:

Option 1: Brick-like pattern. In our small bathroom, this will result in cut tiles along the edges.

Option 2: No pattern per se. Start in one corner with a whole tile, lay along the wall. At the end of that row, start with another whole tile, and come back towards original tile.
It would seem that the option 2 was made by someone who is thinking it would make less cuts to make the job easer. In reality it would be for a less quality job for one it would NOT stager the edges or I mean "jagged edges" as quoted in the instructions and it would also give no allowances for a room or wall out of square. The cut tiles along the walls are not a bad thing it is much better then running a little short. when sizing a floor I try to have 3/4 to half tiles at the walls if possible. Obviously rooms area not always sized in all dimensions to allow this but it mostly has worked for me.

Following what you had stated was in the instructions you are suppose to have cut tiles along the walls and that would be option 1 and stop fighting or getting ready to kill one another. If for some reason the floor turn out badly you don't have to blame one another instead chalk it up as a learning experance.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #13

So you start in the center of the room with a roll of tiles, spaced correctly running vertically. Then run the tile from the left to the wall..subway style. Then start back in the center roll and go the the right to the wall. Yes there will be cuts on each of the side walls and at the ends of the vertical walls...am I on the correct page to get this baby going.????
jann.shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
the Musigician

if you're asking a question, no.
you need to find the appropriate section and post a new thread asking for what you need.

DM
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #15

Hahaha, I posted the original question well over a year ago. I've since laid the floor and sold the house, but thanks anyway!

811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote