Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Huge gash in black hardwood floors

Hi!
I am new to the DIY chatrooms. I am a grad student in NY and made a huge mistake trying to move a bookcase myself one afternoon. As the entire bookshelf fell to the floor it left a huge gash in the wood of my rented apartments ebony hard wood flooring, as well as my leg. Although I wish my leg would still have the gash and not the floor... thats how bad my landlord is.

So I tried filling it will a dark wood fill. See example photo. Now its still bumpy and matte rather than shiny.

Does anyone have any advice ?
If I did have a professional come in, who would I call ?
How much would it cost ?
Do you think I could possibly fill it in more and put a lacquer over it ?
Let me know what you think. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!

Thanks again,
Jess
Attached Thumbnails
Huge gash in black hardwood floors-photo.jpg  

ConfusedChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

They put black EBONY on the floors?? I've never heard of that, especially since the cost of ebony is around $75 a board foot, it's mainly used for things like accents and trim on musical instruments and small items. I suspect your floor is probbably something like hard maple stained black but who knows.
Even Bill gates would be hard pressed to have an entire floor made in real solid ebony wood!
Wood filler and stain is probably about your best option short of replacing that board which will be difficult for you to find one that matches, and then cutting the damaged one out.
You need to put more filler in that it takes to fill, and then let it completely cure like overnight, and then take a sanding block made from a flat piece of scrap board works, and a piece of self stick 150 grit sandpaper and sand it with the grain back and forth till the filler is flat to the surface and smooth, then you might sand a little with 220 grit.
Remove the sanding dust and apply something like Minwax Ebony oil stain, wipe, apply again as needed, wipe and let dry overnight. You can spray some clear finish over it, satin, or gloss, or whatever the sheen of the rest is.
You will still see a "newness" to the area, but hopefully after a little time- could be weeks or more- and walking on it, sweeping etc it will dull down a little better and look more like the rest of the floor.
A professional you would seek out might be a furniture restorer or hardwood flooring installer, either one should have all that is needed including touchup sticks, stains, topcoats etc but expect to pay plenty to have a pro come out and spend a few hours of time on your call.

One alternate possibility is using a router to remove about 1/8 to 1/4" of the board's top surface, for say from the damage going back 12" and gluing on a replacement piece of the same wood (whatever it turns out to be) and staining that. The gouge will be gone, and the "line" at each end of the patch can be made to look like the end gaps of the rest of the boards, it would just look like a short board was used there.

I think the jist is, no matter what you do to this, it will be noticed by the landlord.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-12-2013 at 05:52 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Looks like refinished old flooring. You should just apologize to the owner, explain honestly what happened, and then work with them in finding the best way to fix it. As for moving bookshelves, it helps to use what are called "mover's helpers", which are Teflon discs that you place under each corner, or you place a large bath towel under the emptied bookshelf or object, and use that to help you and another person slide the bookshelf across the room, or just lift up and carry to the new place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

i mean an ebony stain ! whoops !
ConfusedChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

You really would need to sand that area, by hand would be best, then place bondo into the gouge, let set, then sand from a 80 grit, to say 180 grit in an area, that would allow you to blend the stain into the fixed area & old area. Problem with stain, that unless you have the same mix that they used, when they originally refinished the floor, it will stand out.

Get ahold of the ownership, kindly explain the situation and they may send someone over to assess the problem, and if they say that it will come out of your deposit, work maybe going half on the costs to fix that spot, and any other areas that are in need of being redone, due to normal wear and tear. Especially at entrances from rooms in hallways, and at the front door.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 258

If I were the landlord, I don't think I would want a tenant to take it upon him/herself to fix the floor unless their occupation was that of floor refinisher or woodworker. Either have it professionally repaired or tell the landlord and let him decide how they want to proceed.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
If I were the landlord, I don't think I would want a tenant to take it upon him/herself to fix the floor unless their occupation was that of floor refinisher or woodworker. Either have it professionally repaired or tell the landlord and let him decide how they want to proceed.
There is no problem with a tennant doing it, as long as they know what they are doing.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,022

From the look of the first repair attempt, your best bet is to call repair pro,or fess up to the landlord and let him decide how to go about the repair.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-13-2013)