Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How would you transition from wood-to-tile in this space?

We would rather have tile in our kitchen. However, we are having a difficult time picturing the transition. Hopefully you can tell from the kitchen layout that this island cabinets, don't line up with the wall/base cabinets. But the island's countertop will. So if you just said, make the kitchen a rectangle (Red Line), you would have tile about 12" inches on the outside of the island (under countertop). Then the stools would have to move across the two surfaces. Another option would be to come off the walls, and terminate at the edges of the island (Green Line), but this would create an awkward little corner at each edge of the island. Because of these cons, we are leaning towards just continuing the engineered wood into the kitchen

The left side of the picture illustrates the "main living areas" Note, the island is not shown. Currently we will have engineered wood starting in the hallway to the right, through-out the great room and dining room. Bedrooms will be carpet. And the bath and foyer shown will be tiled.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you transition from wood-to-tile in this space?-publicareas.jpg  

Last edited by yogi_bear_79; 10-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
yogi_bear_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

All wood flooring has some kind of transition strips available; check your flooring dealer/store and they can show you what transitions are available.
I personally wouldn't have wood in the kitchen due to spills and cleaning.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Thanks, yes we are aware of the transitions available. What I really wanted was an opinion on where to draw the line(s). Both ideas I came up with have cons, looking if you would overlook the cons, or have a better idea?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,082

This is a perfect layout for tile in all areas in question. There's nothing more durable and easy to maintain than ceramic with area rugs in certain spots just like you would if it were hardwood. This would make the whole house look better and larger too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

When installing wood to ceramic I never use transitions. I build up the wood to be even with the ceramic. This can only be done if the ceramic is straight or there is a metel edging for the ceramic (Schluter strip). You can use 30# felt and layer it in 6 inch peices until you get the hight you need. You will also need to under cut (15 degree) wood to allow for the the angle on the metal. This way there is no hump on your floor.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

I like the Schluter strip idea! As far as building up the wood, are you just building up the edge where it meets the ceramic, or are you building up the entire floor? Depending on height differences, I may build the entire subfloor up for the wood, if there is a drastic difference in height between the ceramics. However if it is relatively minor, are you suggesting using the felt in 6" strips along the perpendicular edge to raise the wood edge to meet the ceramic?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Normally the hight differance is minor. Around 1/8" to 3/16". Felt is the best way I have found to bring the wood to the hight of the ceramic. What I ment is to start with a 18" to 24" wide by the width of the door way. Cut each peice shorter and add on top of bottom layer until you have the hight you need to bring it level.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I think I'd do it all in wood. Tile is harsh on dropped glass ware.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,082

Quote:
I think I'd do it all in wood. Tile is harsh on dropped glass ware.
Yes it is. Instead of breaking into a few pieces on wood it'll breaking into dozens of pieces on ceramic.

Ceramic is fine for any room including great rooms, wood is not suitable in bathrooms, laundry and any high traffic areas that might see a little spillage now and then. Plan on refinishing to original shine in 5-10 years.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote