Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How/when to clean haze from new grout?

I just grouted my new tile floor yesterday (with TEC 650 sanded grout mixed with Grout Boost additive) and apparently didn't do as good a job as I thought cleaning it as I went. The tile had a pretty thick haze on it this morning which I cleaned off but the grout has a bit of a sedimentary layer on it as well. I tried cleaning it gently with a sponge but that's not working. Can I go back over it with a grout brush and water or should I wait to do anything like that?

TIA, Kirk

kboorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

http://www.ehow.com/how_2055866_grou...rout-tile.html

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
"Smooth out any extra grout with a wire brush. Smooth the grout out evenly by scrubbing it one section at a time. If the grout is still fresh, be gentle."

So according to this I shouldn't have to wait?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

Well as it turns out what I thought was haze was in fact the finished color of the grout. The "Grout Boost" additive that was recommended to me changed the color of my grout dramatically. It turned my buff colored grout into a blotchy uneven mix of white and tan. I can't begin to tell you how unhappy I am with the end result on this job. Unfortunately, it seems just as porous as unsealed grout as well, so now I have to find out whether or not it will be compatible with conventional sealers. Doesn't any product work the way it should anymore???
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Actually, I may have been a bit premature in my judgement of this problem. I went back and used a grout brush and plain water for a second time on one of the worst areas and the white haze is gone. The grout now appears to be much closer to the color I expected and the blotchiness is gone. The area seems completely dry so I hope that'll be the end of it. I'll go back and do the rest of the floor tomorrow night and hope for the best.

I still have to wonder how effective the additive will be in preventing stains though. As I said, the grout seems just as porous as unsealed grout. I just can't see how that will work. Hopefully I'm as wrong about that as I was with the other issue.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Tileguy

Sorry to hear of your problem. Obviously something went wrong. You should give them a call to figure it out and correct it. Technical Help: 1-800-832-9023

You'll be talking to the H.B. Fuller Co., probably their TEC division. Well, you already know that.

* I wonder if Tec's 650 is an approved grout to mix Grout Boost with. Tec 650 is a polymer modified grout, it has the dry latex in the bag already. The Grout Boost instructions says;

Quote:
Do not use Grout Boost additive with cement grouts that already claim stain resistance,
Quote:
Never mix Grout Boost additive with latex additive or any other additives.
Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Yep, seen this before as well. You end up piling in too much polymer and it turns into a sticky mess that is very hard to clean.