DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to tile over concrete slab with glue residue?

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
As for my experience level, I've done 2 tile jobs now and therefore condsider myself still a bit of a newbie.

I've agreed to "help" my folks tile their porch. They previously had glued carpter in there. They're about to take the carpter out. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure there will be a lot of glue residue left on the foor. I know that can be pretty difficult to remove if the slab is rough and not smooth.

Should I lay down hardi board or the real cement backer board first? Do I need to screw or ramset it down or can I just use thinset.

I plan to leave a gap and fill the seems with that plastic drywall type tape and thinset.

Any help much appricated.

#2 ·
Your description is a little vague------------

This porch is it concrete? You mentioned slab in there somewhere---
If the concrete is sound--not falling apart---clean off the glue--Rent a floor buffer with carborundum stones.

That will get it clean enough---use an angle grinder with a wire brush to get the corners--There is a grinding cup available if the wire wheel won't do the job.

Now you are ready to tile---use a modified thinset--or if you are in a freeze thaw area--use an unmodified thinset mixed with a liquid latex.

If you have small cracks there is a mesh tape tape sold at tile store that should go down over the cracks. Don't use drywall mesh--the lime eats it up.

You don't want to put an underlayment over concrete.--Mike--

#3 · (Edited)
Yes it is a concrete slab. Can you elaberate on why no underlayment over concrete? I would actually perfer this because of heigh issue and threshold so it sounds good. Just want to make sure it holds up. What about if the surface is really rough? I removed vinvy from a slab once with a rough surface and that would have been a ton of griding to get all that off.

#4 ·
Tile and concrete are make for each other--Expansion rates are about the same--concrete doesn't flex

the cement based thin sets stick to it and the tiles--what could be better?

Your HardiBacker over the top? Not so good--Hardi is as flexible as a spring--Any water that gets under it will freeze and lift the board--breaking the tile-- If you check with Hardi I believe the will not warranty the product for outdoor use.--Mike--

If you must gain some height check out Ditra--I am not sure but it may be rated for porches--call their technical help line to see.--M--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.