Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to tile over concrete slab with glue residue?

As for my experience level, I've done 2 tile jobs now and therefore condsider myself still a bit of a newbie.

I've agreed to "help" my folks tile their porch. They previously had glued carpter in there. They're about to take the carpter out. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure there will be a lot of glue residue left on the foor. I know that can be pretty difficult to remove if the slab is rough and not smooth.

Should I lay down hardi board or the real cement backer board first? Do I need to screw or ramset it down or can I just use thinset.

I plan to leave a gap and fill the seems with that plastic drywall type tape and thinset.

Any help much appricated.

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 92

Your description is a little vague------------

This porch is it concrete? You mentioned slab in there somewhere---
If the concrete is sound--not falling apart---clean off the glue--Rent a floor buffer with carborundum stones.

That will get it clean enough---use an angle grinder with a wire brush to get the corners--There is a grinding cup available if the wire wheel won't do the job.

Now you are ready to tile---use a modified thinset--or if you are in a freeze thaw area--use an unmodified thinset mixed with a liquid latex.

If you have small cracks there is a mesh tape tape sold at tile store that should go down over the cracks. Don't use drywall mesh--the lime eats it up.

You don't want to put an underlayment over concrete.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Yes it is a concrete slab. Can you elaberate on why no underlayment over concrete? I would actually perfer this because of heigh issue and threshold so it sounds good. Just want to make sure it holds up. What about if the surface is really rough? I removed vinvy from a slab once with a rough surface and that would have been a ton of griding to get all that off.

Last edited by nateo; 04-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 92

Tile and concrete are make for each other--Expansion rates are about the same--concrete doesn't flex

the cement based thin sets stick to it and the tiles--what could be better?

Your HardiBacker over the top? Not so good--Hardi is as flexible as a spring--Any water that gets under it will freeze and lift the board--breaking the tile-- If you check with Hardi I believe the will not warranty the product for outdoor use.--Mike--

If you must gain some height check out Ditra--I am not sure but it may be rated for porches--call their technical help line to see.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote