Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

How to take these old treads off?


jiju1943,

Thanks for posting again. Honestly, the "over" method would be the last thing before every other posibilities are depleted.

I will knock off the first tread this evening, no matter what. I will post a picture for your advise again. Thanks,

Mechelle

Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Default

How to take these old treads off?


I cut and pryed the left side off. It actually was not as hard as I anticipated. Attached picture shows that the tread is nailed from the other side of the stringer.

Is this what you referred to as "mortised? Even it is, I think it could still be taken off. Am I right? Proceed with attacking all treads?

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
How to take these old treads off?-left-side-first-tread.jpg   How to take these old treads off?-hand-tools-used.jpg   How to take these old treads off?-right-before-prying-off-left-piece.jpg  
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,406
Rewards Points: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Well I was sure wrong, I would have bet money the treads weren't mortised in but they are. Don't remove your risers just yet, you may be able to cover them with 1/4 inch plywood.

If these were my stairs, I would measure from inside the mortise of one side to the skirt of the other side and cut the tread this length. Slide one end of the tread into the mortise and lay it in place then slide the tread half way into the mortise on the other side. This would give the impression that the tread went all the way from inside mortise to inside mortise.

I would buy 1/4 birch or oak plywood, which ever you prefer and rip it to the size of the riser and install it over the face of the riser, that way you can either stain the risers or paint them. As matter fact you could stain or paint before you installed if you like.

One problem I see with capping the treads is you would have to cut the noising off the existing tread and install a tread on top of the one there now. This would leave a hole where the nosing was cut off and removed out of the mortise on each side, also it would make your stairs out of code and dangerous.

Maybe one of the other fellows have another way they would like to share.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 10-19-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added more
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Question

How to take these old treads off?


Not being able to fasten the new tread from the back of the risers and the stringer, I am not sure if the new tread would be sufficiently supported. Now I am thinking to go with the "over" method.

Taking the first tread off does have the effect of easing the height concern. Now I should be able to lay a 1/2 inch board underneath it and install the rest of the treads over the old ones. That way, the one inch height increase would be shared by the first and the second which actually put the height within the code limit -- 8 1/4". As for the holes from the nosing, Dremel or putty, I am not able to think of anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this feasible?

Mechelle
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,406
Rewards Points: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
Not being able to fasten the new tread from the back of the risers and the stringer, I am not sure if the new tread would be sufficiently supported. Now I am thinking to go with the "over" method.

Taking the first tread off does have the effect of easing the height concern. Now I should be able to lay a 1/2 inch board underneath it and install the rest of the treads over the old ones. That way, the one inch height increase would be shared by the first and the second which actually put the height within the code limit -- 8 1/4". As for the holes from the nosing, Dremel or putty, I am not able to think of anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this feasible?

Mechelle
But you can fasten the tread from the back of the riser. Once the next tread is removed you will be able to see the back of the riser, that is how the nails were install originally. You can face nail the treads and fill the holes, as most stairs are built face nailed. You will need to use glue though. 8 1/4" is way out of code, some one will fall or stumble. One of the other fellows will be along here soon and you can ask them, I have 41 years of wood working and there are very few types of stairs I haven't installed or built and I have face nailed the biggest majority of them.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Rewards Points: 0
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Leave the risers and cover them with 1/4" as suggested.
It looks like there are glue blocks along each end to carry the treads. That is good.
As for replacing the treads, you should be alright with gluing them down and face nailing per jiju1943's ideas.
For the nosings, what is the overhang now? (see picture)
If the nosing is between 3/4" and 1 1/4" now, you should be okay once the risers are covered with 1/4", but you will not be able to have the nosings into both routered mortises fully. I'd cut them to a tight tolerance and glue/nail them into place, filling the nail holes. Not much else you can do.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Default

How to take these old treads off?


jiju1943 and jlhaslip,

Wow, 41 years! That's called authority.

My husband Dave and I are doing the work together. I do the seeking advise part and he does the heavy lifting.

"Over" or not "over", we've been swinging back and forth a few times and I am now determined. I am going to take the old ones off, even they are mortised.
The "overhang" is right at your high limit 1 1/4". I don't know it is good or bad.

I bought the 1/4 birch. Should we use liquid nails for glue and 2" finishing nails (the one with a small head)? Should we start from the top or bottom? Should we take the old treads all off or take one off and install a new one at a time? Sorry,

I am now sure that I will have to come back for more questions.

Mechelle
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,406
Rewards Points: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
jiju1943 and jlhaslip,

Wow, 41 years! That's called authority.

My husband Dave and I are doing the work together. I do the seeking advise part and he does the heavy lifting.

"Over" or not "over", we've been swinging back and forth a few times and I am now determined. I am going to take the old ones off, even they are mortised.
The "overhang" is right at your high limit 1 1/4". I don't know it is good or bad.

I bought the 1/4 birch. Should we use liquid nails for glue and 2" finishing nails (the one with a small head)? Should we start from the top or bottom? Should we take the old treads all off or take one off and install a new one at a time? Sorry,

I am now sure that I will have to come back for more questions.

Mechelle
If this were my stairs I would take all the treads off as I wouldn't want to be tracking all the trash on the new treads. I know you will need to sand the new treads but there is a chance something could be dropped on one of them and damage it. When you start installing start at the bottom as you will need to glue and nail the riser to the back edge of the tread. When installing the tread glue all areas where wood will be touching wood. If you don't there is a chance your stairs might squeak.

Liquid nails will be fine but try not to get any on the face of the tread, it will come off but not without a little work. Are you using a gun to nail your treads? If not I would use 10 penny finishing nails in the face of the treads and 8d in the riser to back of tread. You may find the hand nails hard to go through the wood without bending, if you find this is the case you can take one of the 10d nails and cut the head off, insert the end that you cut in the drill and use the nail as a drill bit. DO NOT TOUCH the nail after drilling as it will be very hot and can blister easily.

Another thought, if the nails in the riser to back of tread are hard to drive, rub the nail on a bar of soap, it will allow the nail to go in easier.

After a few holes the nail will lose its temper and will bend very easy so be ready for that.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 10-20-2010 at 09:01 PM.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Use nails as drill bit? We will try.

I am not sure that we can get all the stairs done in one day even it has only 15 steps. I will do half and half so that at the end of the day we could still be able to reach the upstairs.

No, we do not have an air gun. We use a hammer.
I will let you know the result.

Mechelle
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,406
Rewards Points: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Just work at the pace that makes you comfortable, if you can't take them all off at one time be careful not to drop anything heavy on your new ones.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 0
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Just work at the pace that makes you comfortable, if you can't take them all off at one time be careful not to drop anything heavy on your new ones.
jiju1943 and everyone,


Jiju1943, you and others have led to this result. Thank you.

The mortise part has actually helped to make the seamless joint easier. There were a little buffer zone to manipulate with when insert the tread into the mortise.

Am I happy that we made it the right way! Every step is right on, 7 inches.

Next I will be installing a hardwood flooring on my second floor and by then I will have to deal with the nose above the last tread, now it is still a carpet nose.

Thank you again,


Mechelle
Attached Thumbnails
How to take these old treads off?-almost.jpg  
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #27
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,406
Rewards Points: 30
Blog Entries: 1
Default

How to take these old treads off?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
jiju1943 and everyone,


Jiju1943, you and others have led to this result. Thank you.

The mortise part has actually helped to make the seamless joint easier. There were a little buffer zone to manipulate with when insert the tread into the mortise.

Am I happy that we made it the right way! Every step is right on, 7 inches.

Next I will be installing a hardwood flooring on my second floor and by then I will have to deal with the nose above the last tread, now it is still a carpet nose.

Thank you again,


Mechelle
You are welcome from all of us. Ya'll really did a great professional looking job, we are glad we could help.

__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Mechelle (10-26-2010)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace old treads with Oak treads ruler10 Carpentry 19 07-21-2010 09:55 AM
New stair treads and flooring rickkeeter Flooring 2 02-24-2010 10:16 PM
Sanding my stairs. Wrong equipment? Question about removing treads. Kinda long, sorry Mike in Arkansas Flooring 3 04-23-2009 01:04 PM
repair or repalce stairway treads? mariad Building & Construction 4 11-03-2008 08:08 PM
Pennsylvania Bluestone Treads rjordan392 Building & Construction 4 03-30-2008 10:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.