Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to take these old treads off?

Hi Guys,

I am replacing stair carpet with oak treads. Attached are some pictures of the old treads after the carpet was taken off. The old treads do not show any nails on them. It looks like they were glued to the riser and the things underneath. The house was built in 2003.

What is the best way to take these treads off? What kind of tools would I need? I need help and any information will be mostly appreciated.

Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
How to take these old treads off?-top-treads.jpg   How to take these old treads off?-lower-treads.jpg   How to take these old treads off?-treads-one.jpg  

Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Do you really need to remove them? Cut off the round part and go over them. Bottom step will be a little higher, the thickness of your first oak tread. Are you doing the top step with a oak tread? I guess you could put the carpet around it. With out really seeing the top step I don't know if it would be too high going over the original wood on the step.

JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Question

JCW355, Thank you for your post.

I thought about this. I was going to cut the old tread nose off and put the 1" treads over the existing ones. But yes, the bottom thread will be too high. The bottom riser is 7 3/4" plus the tread would be 8 3/4 inches. I had a copy of the "stair code" that mentioned that the maximum height for a riser should be something like 8 1/4". The shortage of the top step is also a concern.

That's why I am thinking taking the whole thing off and save the worries about the difference in height. Would it be that much of work ripping the old ones off? I still do not know what is the best way. Using a circular saw to cut through and hammer it down?

Mechelle
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,296

Putting the tread on top would be an easy way but it would make the stairs very dangerous, someone would stumble and fall almost certain and it would for sure not pass code. Hopefully the treads are not nailed and glued but chances are they will be. If I had installed them they would be.

If I were to remove them I would start by trying a flat bar (short pry bar flat on one end with a 90 bend on the other). Drive the bar under the tread in the front and see if you can pry it up. Chances are you will scar the skirt boards up so be as careful as you can getting the treads out. If you see you are going to really foul the skirts up you can take a sawzall and cut the tread in the middle and pry each half out, hopefully that wouldn't mess the skirts up. Let us know how it goes.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

jiju1943, Thank you.

I do not have a pry bar and will go Homedepot to get one. I checked again, it is glued on, no nails. What I will be expecting after taking the treads off, some rectangular frame that support the treads? It looks like the risers are ON the treads right now. Would I end up with taking the riser off, as well?

Thanks again,

Mechelle
Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
jiju1943, Thank you.

I do not have a pry bar and will go Homedepot to get one. I checked again, it is glued on, no nails. What I will be expecting after taking the treads off, some rectangular frame that support the treads? It looks like the risers are ON the treads right now. Would I end up with taking the riser off, as well?

Thanks again,

Mechelle
If you do buy the flat bar from Home Depot or Lowe's be sure to buy the one that has a round type shaft or hexed shaft. Most of the cheaper ones with the flat shaft will break easily.

One thing to be aware of, when prying the treads up sometimes the front edge of the stringer will break off so try to break the glue bond loose as easy as possible. Hopefully the riser will be fastened behind the tread and will support the front edge of the stringer somewhat. Here is what to expect when the tread is taken up.

See how the stringer comes to a point? That is a weak spot as there is no wood grain to support it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #7

jiju1943,

Thanks again for the information. I bought a pry bar. Although still being a little unease, I am planning to start the demolition this weekend. I may come back for anything that comes out from underneath the old treads.

Mechelle
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

can you see if the treads are routered into the stringers?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
can you see if the treads are routered into the stringers?
he is correct ...if it is routered in you need to speed bore a hole in the center and salzaw or jig a cut in the centetr of the tread[ from nose to riser]...cutting off the noses wont be any easier if they are routed stringers...you can do it with a circular saw and a chisel too
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #10

Question

jlhaslip, Aaroncarpet and jiju1943,

Thank you,

I thought I was out of the woods but I am not, yet. I do not know if they are routed into the stringer. It was very hard to ply. I cut a hole in the middle of the first tread and it looked like the treads are screwed from the back of the riser like the picture below. What would you recommend that I do? I had been wondering why there were no nails.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

If you can not find any nails or screws anywhere, I'd suggest that the stringers are routered in and will be difficult to replace only the treads.
See if you can slip a utility knife blade along the end of the tread next to the stringer. If you can see any gap there, you stand a chance.
Otherwise, plan to cover the old treads.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-18-2010), Mechelle (10-18-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #12

jlhaslip,

As simple as it is, I would never know without your posting it. I will go home find it out and let you know.

Mechelle
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
jlhaslip, Aaroncarpet and jiju1943,

Thank you,

I thought I was out of the woods but I am not, yet. I do not know if they are routed into the stringer. It was very hard to ply. I cut a hole in the middle of the first tread and it looked like the treads are screwed from the back of the riser like the picture below. What would you recommend that I do? I had been wondering why there were no nails.

I have used the screws to fasten the riser to the back of the tread but not the blocks on the front underside as most stairs I built already had sheet rock in place on the under side of the stringers. If there are no nails or screws to be found in the tread and the sides or the stringer/skirt are not mortised in the only thing left is they are glued but I have yet to see stairs where the treads are just glued.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #14

jiju1943, jhaslip and all,

The treads are routed/mortised. I might have to with what JCW355 has suggested to go over the old treads.

The top tread should be ok. There will be a 3/4" wood flooring with nose there. But the bottom one's height (actually the second from the bottom as you can see from the picture) is still to be worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
How to take these old treads off?-first-tread.jpg   How to take these old treads off?-nails.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

You do have plywood risers and a particle board/OSB tread, I do not believe these treads are mortised in as there would be problems with support on the left side as that is a Hampton type rail. If you have a 2X4 maybe 4 foot or so you could put one end in the hole you have cut and pry down on the outer end the tread has got to come up. Once one tread is up and we can see instead of guessing we can tell you exactly how to go ahead.

You have another issue as you said you are adding 3/4 inch flooring on your landing, right? Is there carpet or what on your landing right now? Is there a landing tread already in place? A 3/4 inch difference will not pass code and is dangerous as someone will stumble.

Jim