Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

how to shut off raditor to replace floor

i have remove almost all of my floor in bathroom, however therer is a radiator there, it doesnt have a shut off valve, how do i take this off with out making a huge mess, and do i need to drain it as its oil heat? thanks

dnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #2

Is it a radiator filled with water/steam or it a radiator filled with oil that heats up?

Water/steam you will need to drain the system and cap. If the radiator is old you should make sure you have two LARGE pipe wrenchs to ensure you don't crack the riser in the process. Oil --- not sure??

jbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

yes it has oil, and there is no shut off on either side, so im not sure whats the easiest and safest way to disconnect so i can re-tile the floor
dnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #4

Hmm an oil radiator that is hooked up to a whole system. Never heard of that, but I am in Chicago and we are not big on oil here. Have a little patience, someone else on here who more familiar with them will respond.
Sorry
jbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

I thinkt he OP is tryign to say that the heater is an oil fired boiler. Is the radiator copper or cast iron. Either way you have to shut off the boiler and then drain the water to a level below the radiator you want to remove.

For a copper radiator you need to cut the copper pipes if they are soldered on. There is a chance that there is a union to make removal easier. If it is cast iron you need to disconnect the unions at the radiators. You will need to cap the lines off if you intend to use your heat before you plan on reinstalling the radiator. Dont forget to refill and bleed the systom before you turn the boiler back on.

IF it is a cast iron radiator, please be very careful, they can be very heavy and if the system is old the pipes can be brittle and break easily.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

what a mess, sell the house it would be easier

IceT is offline   Reply With Quote