DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   How to remove snapped screw on hardwood floor? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/how-remove-snapped-screw-hardwood-floor-192044/)

mechth 12-14-2013 10:49 PM

How to remove snapped screw on hardwood floor?
 
I got a snapped trim screw on the jatoba hardwood floor. I put the screw there to fix an installation problem. But the holes on the hardwood plank is not big enough and the screw snapped. Is there any way to remove the screws?

Many thanks for your assisstance.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ff9v05.jpg

oh'mike 12-15-2013 04:14 AM

Removing nails, etc.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Look at post 13 by mikeswoods----the hollow drill will allow you to neatly remove the screw---you will need to cut a plug from some scrap stock to plug the resulting hole---

joecaption 12-15-2013 07:26 AM

Should have been using a finish nail driven in at an angle.

mechth 12-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1278617)
Should have been using a finish nail driven in at an angle.


the subfloor below is not flat and finish nail is not going to hold down the floor plank. that's why I decided to use a screw.

mechth 12-15-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1278594)
Removing nails, etc.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Look at post 13 by mikeswoods----the hollow drill will allow you to neatly remove the screw---you will need to cut a plug from some scrap stock to plug the resulting hole---


very interesting. I will give it a try.

Many thanks.

oh'mike 12-15-2013 03:17 PM

You are welcome!! We use to make those from old pushrods from a car engine--nice to see that you can buy them already made.

SeniorSitizen 12-15-2013 05:49 PM

That page seems to be missing in my book.

Getting it out is one thing but determining what caused the problem and how to avoid it in the future will be the real time and frustration saver.

Canarywood1 12-28-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1278797)
That page seems to be missing in my book.

Getting it out is one thing but determining what caused the problem and how to avoid it in the future will be the real time and frustration saver.


He more than likely didn't predrill the hole for the screw,and that's what caused the head to shear off.

When he gets it out he will need a plug cutter to finish the job.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.