Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

How To Remove Luan

I am taking up the linoleum in the bathroom so I can install tile. The laun seems to be glued down and I am trying to figure out what is the best way to get under the laun to remove the linoleum and luan. I would have thought that I could get under the edge at the door transition at the hallway, but this stuff (luan) is really sealed tight with an adhesive. The bathroom is only about 32 sq ft. of floor. There is an air register in the floor as well and the same issue with the adhesive holding the luan down. Wherever I try to pry up to get started, it just wants to rip and shread the luan. Any suggestions?

David

djmdoitmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

How To Remove Luan

Yep, thats what it does. Get a small flat pry bar, and a hammer, and some safety glasses....Then proceed to take out all your frustrations on that floor. Mine was glued and stapled down. Have to go back and pull all the staples, or hammer them in.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

How To Remove Luan

So I should take the flat pry bar and force it between the luan and the plywood and basically split it away from the plywood? I will try that and hopefully they did not totally cover the surface with adhesive.

Thanks.

David
djmdoitmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

How To Remove Luan

If you just attack the luan and there was a lot of adhesive, then you will very likely mar the subfloor so badly you will need to use resurfacing compound (before you can put even a new sheet of luan down).

One thing worth trying, ironing the floor to see if heat softens the adhesive.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

How To Remove Luan

It will be a pain. Luan is never to be glued down, so it was probably an amateur. So you may find other surprises.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote