DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to remove ceramic tile

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  almazon 
#1 ·
I recently started remodeling the bathroom of my 1966 house. There's a tiled shower stall and tile floor that I'm attempting to demo. The joint between the wall and floor has been leaking, plus its time to update the bathroom.

My problem is that I'm finding it impossible to get the tile off the walls! Under the 4x4 tiles is about an inch of concrete and under that is metal lath, and behind that is the studs. The tiles aren't popping off when I chisel them from sides, they are only breaking off in tiny little pieces. I've only been able to get this stuff off by beating it with a hammer and then chiseling the remaining pieces. Then I'm left with broken chunks of concrete and metal lath still attached to the wall.

How do I get this tile/concrete/lath off the wall?? I've just been using a masonry chisel and regular hammer so far and removed about 3sqft in 2 hours. Maybe I need to get a sledge and crowbar?

#2 ·
A little bigger hammer-----punch a line---then grab and pull --or use a flat bar ti pry off bigger sections

after you punch a line or two---gloves--goggles and a mask---If you use a Saws All--insert the blade backwards to get a shallow cut---you don't want to hit piped or wiring---Mike---

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I got a demolition hammer today, so I'll see how that goes. My wife was actually working on the wall yesterday while I was working elsewhere in the house. She's 120lbs and very gentle with the hammer, usually holding it about halfway on the handle. In 2 hours, she was able to get through about 4sqft, so hopefully with a powerhammer and me helping her, we'll get it done quicker.

I'm also assuming the stuff under the tile is not concrete, but mortar? They really built those walls to last, except where the wall/floor joints failed because of house settling. This is a second floor bathroom in a 2 story colonial. What can I expect to find under the floor tile??

#7 ·
Wow, a mud bed sounds like 2" of concrete. That should be fun :no: So I can expect that under the shower floor? What about under the rest of the bathroom floor? It has those 1x1 tiles, but thankfully nothing on the non-shower walls.

Is the demo hammer the best way to get up the mud bed? I'm worried about damaging the underlying joists and studs by hammering too much. We seem to have already broken the light fixture on the other side of the shower wall from all the hammering. Maybe with the demo hammer we won't shake things so much.

#8 ·
I just removed old tiles in the bathroom on the 1st floor. I used hammer and pry bar. I just hit titles hard with the hammer and pry them with pry-barPlease wear Eye and Respiratory protection.

It took me about 1 hour for 27 sq ft. I broke mud bed underneath, but I am planning to re-install new one over concrete slab.

No CBU this time!:no:

#10 ·
What do you mean? You wouldn't be installing a CBU on a slab.

Jaz
Thanks for your fast reply!

Absolutely not! I ve learned it hard way. I was going to do it in the beginning, but it looks like you glueing 2 pieces of metal with Crazy Glue!

Anyway, once I saw its not holding well, I was smart enough to take that CBU piece off and scrape all Thin-Set Mortar off before it dries out.

Thats why I said No CBU this time!

I need to raise my slab a little bit. About 1/2 inch before installing 12x12 3/8 Ceramic Tiles. Its not damaged, not perfectly leveled. Would you use Mortar Bed or SLC?

Thank you in advance,
almazon

#11 ·
Although it's possible to properly bond a thin mud deck to a slab, I think you'll have better luck with SLC.

It can be tricky, but you shouldn't have any trouble if you follow directions & ask questions here.

Jaz

#12 ·
Well, I still deciding. The thingy is that my bathroom is T shaped. When you enter, toilet on the Left and sink on the Right.

I am afraid if I will pour SLC left and right I wont have enough control. I like it better cause it is easier, but I think I might wanna try Mortar Bed.

Mix it with little water, pour it, level it, Spray some water and slurry it. Right?

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.