Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #1

Share |

How to remove cat pee smell?

Pulled up carpet in my rental and somehow activated or brought back some old cat pee smell that was hidden for years. Subfloor is pine wood planks with plywood? underneath? I've been spaying entire living room floor with a bleach water solution and it works for a bit, then next day it smells again! Would something like baking powder work? Cant specifically find spot but I know its in living area floor. Ive opened windows for the past few days and will check again tomorrow.

cariboulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Try an enzymatic urine and pet odor elimination product. Or a bacterial product that creates the enzymes. A pet store will have options or better versions are available on line. You will have to saturate the effected areas which is not great for the wood though. You may have to put down a plastic vapor and odor barrier.

Last edited by user1007; 03-19-2012 at 03:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Enzymatic cleaner as already mentioned. They shellac the whole area to seal it up.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboulou View Post
Pulled up carpet in my rental and somehow activated or brought back some old cat pee smell that was hidden for years. Subfloor is pine wood planks with plywood? underneath? I've been spaying entire living room floor with a bleach water solution and it works for a bit, then next day it smells again! Would something like baking powder work? Cant specifically find spot but I know its in living area floor. Ive opened windows for the past few days and will check again tomorrow.
the name of the product is nature's miracle, you get it at the pet store. i had the same problem with a house i purchased, you apply it and it can take 2 weeks to remove the odors but it will work
christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

thanks, will check out the pet stores today!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Yup, Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution (I personally feel that SS works better, but that's just my opinion, the products are similar.)

Spray the area and let it dry out. After no smell remains, do it one more time.

You can use a fan to speed drying, but do not use heat, and protect from sunlight.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

And a blacklight will help find the spots.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As mentioned you have to buy enough to saturate the areas and this is not great for the wood. Not much choice though. There are other brands online but the two mentioned are the best known. SS seemed to work better in my opinion too and did not have as much artificial flowery fragrance in it. I used to sell bugs that made the enzymes but they were pricey and susceptible to sunlight.

If you ever use this stuff on carpeting? You needed to use something like a meat injector to get the fluid under the carpet and padding or it will do little good.

You do need to give it time to work. I hadn't thought of it but shellac is not a bad idea and is certainly cheap. You may need a thicker membrane though.

My kitties were great at litter boxing until I move to a beautiful restored apartment built in a building one step away from the wrecking ball. It must have had ferile cats living in it because one of my boys smelled something deep underneath the carpeting I certainly did not. He went to town marking terriorty, often right in front of me, until I got everything under control.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
STAFF

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart but they have a product called OdoBan, it does work well and is cheap. I couldn't believe that a product that cost less than three dollars would work but it did for us. By the way, it is in the grocery department not in the pet department.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

just had a carpet guy who was doing an estimate there, he recommended I apply "Thompsons water sealer" onto entire living room floor.....that sounds like it may work??
Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Thompson's is a liquid wax based product. Not sure what you would gain by using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mnp13 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Don't WANNA do it myself

covering the smell or sealing over the smell is NOT the answer here. You have to get rid of the smell. Natures Miracle and Simple Solution will work, but you have to give them a little time. Cat pee smells because of the ammonia in it (among other things) you have to neutralize the ammonia - which is why bleach works (but produces toxic fumes).

Get the NM or SS and give them a try. I have had cats for about 20 years, and know a lot of people in rescue - who have 15 or 20 cats at a time. Everyone has their own favorite product, but you have to use an enzyme product.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

I work for a flooring company and on more than one occasion we have had the urine problem...in some extreme cases we have actually cut out areas of subfloor and replaced because the animail had chosen that as their spot...clean and disinfect allow to dry completely and seal with killz or any other good primer this does work...urine off and other enzyme products work but mainly on soft surfaces...
acalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

We bought a cat lady's house. 12 cats and apparently no litterbox.

We had to replace the bottom foot of drywall but were able to salvage the subfloor by applying Odoban. We did three applications, letting it dry a few days in between applications. We then shellacked the floor using Kilz oil-based for good measure. It was a lot of work but totally worked.

MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote