Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

How to reinforce my floor for aquarium

I am putting in a 125 gallon tank. The only place for the tank is going parallel to the floor joists. I know that is not recomended, but it is the only place it will fit. The joists are 2x8, and span a total of about 30 feet. In the middle it is supported by boards and support collums(see pics) so it is split into 15 foot spans. My tank will be in the middle of the 15 foot span. I assume i could just put 1 or 2 support jacks in the middle of the 15 foot span, but that is in the middle of my basement workshop so i would like to hear is there is something more space friendly. Here are some pics.

Tank will sit mostly on the first joist, and hopefully also over some os the joist closest to the cold air return-

This is where the ends of the joists are supported-

This is the center support-

Last edited by detroti_fan; 02-03-2009 at 07:37 PM.
detroti_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Tileguy

Fifteen foot span with 2x8's? Can't be...can it? No carpenter would do that, and it would never pass inspection.

I'll wait for your confirmation on that. However, you will need to add joists by sistering, or install a beam across the joists. You're adding about 1,000 lbs of water plus maybe 200 of equipment or so. Plus I'll bet visitors are going to congregate to look at the fishies.

Post the span for the joists.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

Ok i did measure wrong, but it is still 12feet from foundation wall to to center support. I was wondering if i could put a steel i beam under the joist running pralell, and then suppor th i beam with a 4x4 on each end. The 4x4's would be 10 feet apart.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Here are some pics of the basment area directly underneath where the tank will go. In the pictres you can see some lights on the ceiling, the set closest to the camera is he area under where the tank will be.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #5

If the tank will be over 2 joists, could i just sister a board on each side of the both the 2 joists and that be enough?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
onlinehandyman

Not really my line of expertise, but I just wanted to say what a difference pictures make - so much easier to follow the conversation - Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroti_fan View Post
If the tank will be over 2 joists, could i just sister a board on each side of the both the 2 joists and that be enough?
I doubt it
I have a 125g & its right over the main beam in a wall
You need support beams going across the support joists
My joists are 2x10 & I wouldn't try it

When looking for a house I had my tape measure & was measuring walls. I also checked the basement for support. If the house couldn't take an 8' tank in the wall we passed. 2 days after we bought our house I started cutting the wall & building the stand. I was filling the tank about a week later
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
I have gas!

125 if about 1250 lbs. You should be able to treat this like any other load.
Off the cuff, replace two joists with a double or triple LVL directly below the tank (4-6 7 1/4" LVLs total). Go to a lumberyard that stocks LVLs, not big box, and have them spec exactly what you need. It's about $300 in material + a weekend. The only other thing I'd do is add a support to the main carrying beam directly under where these new beams will bear on.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 02-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote