Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to reinforce 5/8" osb flooring (new home)!?!

My father is building a new home which has attic space above. He initially wanted to use the space for storage and thought that 5/8" osb floor would serve the purpose and save money. When I seen it I knew he was going to regret it even tho it's on 16'' center it's spongey! I didn't say anything because I knew its bothering him. He has changed his mind and wants it for extra living space. The stairwell is closed in and full sheets 4'x8' sheets wont go up. A friend of his suggested fiber/backer board and my dad thought that was the answer. After he left I told him that probably wasn't a solution but another problem because it would crack with a load. He needs something economic but sturdy.I'm just a kid in his eyes (37yr.lol) but if I'm not sure what the answer is I'll admit it but I'll ask to find what is!
Thanks for your time reading this and even more for any solutions!!!

Last edited by Skinnedmedula; 07-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Skinnedmedula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

Fathers can be like that----to proud to admit a mistake with a son---

1/2" bc ply would be good--but the delivery on those stairs won't work.

If he is making that a living space--suggest 3/4" prefinished oak flooring installed perpendicular to the joists---kills two birds with one stone ,so to speak---5/8 subfloor will hold the staples and should be fine--

CopperClad (07-09-2012), JetSwet (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks Oh'Mike. I think the the 3/4 oak flooring would definitely be the solution! The only thing is he's strapped about now and is looking for economic and plus he wants carpet because he has foot problems. He sold his 4 bd 3bath home to my little bro. and building himself a 2bd. 2bath. He had the family barn think about 110yr. tore down to build on top of it. I tried my best to get him to have that wood planed out and tounged for flooring. He thought I was crazy! Anyway I just want to help him out, he should be retired by now and he working way too hard.
I think I'll like this forum!Thanks for your time!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Plenty of roofs have 1/2'' osb on 2' centers, and yes there is a little give to the edges.. But with 5/8''s on a floor is it that bad? Ideally a 3/4'' T&G would be used.. So with a 2 bed 2 bath, I can't imagine the attic portion you will be finishing would be that big. Cheapest solution I can come up with would be to solid block the edges of the 5/8''s to make it sturdy. Depending on how many sheets you have, and because of your lack of space to get full sheets through the stairwell.. Are the sheets nailed or screwed? It will definitely take some time to pull the sheets and block the edges, but your spongy will be gone. Good luck and welcome to DIY !
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks Copperclad. I'm thinking that theyre nailed. Yeah the attic is actually pretty roomy for the 2bd. My dad is friends with a man that owns a truss company and got a good deal on trusses that someone else ordered and wasnt the right specs for their plans. Im thinking that its about 14'x50' opening over the full length of house. It's going to be a nice home but I know this part of the house is already haunting him.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Ummm. Okay. So it's a truss roof then with 14ft clear in between the truss uprights. I notice you had said they were on 16'' centers which would be correct for a truss fabricated for attic space but anytime you add a floor with a truss roof it has to be solid blocked at the 14ft clear anyway.. Does the truss have a 2x8 bottom chord in the clear 14ft area? How tall is the opening fabricated into the truss? Goodness, trusses opens up a whole new can of worms.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

I was wondering about cutting sections of 5/8 plywood and gluing them down ontop of the osb like parquet flooring plus screwing them together with 1-1/4'' wood screws and 2-1/2'' on the centers?