Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How to raise floor, add new toilet

I am updating my laundry/mechanical room. My house was built in the 50s and on a crawl. My laundry/mechanical room is on a slab on the other side of the garage. I have many issues with this room. My first question is about flooring. I would like to raise the floor somehow so that you do not have to step up into the kitchen. There is a drain in the middle of the floor and I don't know how to work this in. There is also many components to the AC/Furnace running along the floor as well. Also, I would like to add a shower/toilet/sink in this space as well, we only have one bath in the house. There was a shower that has been taken out, can I connect the toilet to the same exhast as the shower?

mommyof3ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

With that many issues you would be far better off making some call to local General contractors that can come on site to see what your trying to do.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

I guess my first question is that I do not understand your description of the layout.

Most likely you can not put the toilet where the shower was. The shower was probably 2" which would be too small. At least you have DVW to this space already though. I would sketch out a bathroom plan, bust out the floor and rough in plumb to the existing drain, and finish of your bathroom.

Do not understand the bit about the floor being lower than the kitchen.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I guess my first question is that I do not understand your description of the layout.

Do not understand the bit about the floor being lower than the kitchen.

B
B,
When you enter the house through the garage you enter into my laundry/mechanical room, then up one step to into the kitchen. I would like the floors to be the same height (building up the floor) but I have a drain and oil line running to the furnace.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3ms View Post
B,
When you enter the house through the garage you enter into my laundry/mechanical room, then up one step to into the kitchen. I would like the floors to be the same height (building up the floor) but I have a drain and oil line running to the furnace.
hey mommy i get what your saying but we still would need some pictures of area you want to redue ...under the crawl space ,,, a look at existing plumbing.... and don't be afraid to apply what joe said about getting a contractor out to help guide you through it on site? ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
mommyof3ms (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
hey mommy i get what your saying but we still would need some pictures of area you want to redue ...under the crawl space ,,, a look at existing plumbing.... and don't be afraid to apply what joe said about getting a contractor out to help guide you through it on site? ben
Ben's,
I have been trying to upload a picture and having a hard time. I will post as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Tags
floor drain, floor insulation, plumbing fixtures