Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Share |

How to prep for linoleum? Or vinyl plank

I have some old linoleum in my master bathroom that is very old and nasty looking. I want to take it up, and replace it with new linoleum, or perhaps vinyl plank. I would like to do tile, but I need to save money on this job. If I can. So:

1. So what is the best method of taking up the old linoleum? A heat gun?

2. How do you prep for new linoleum? I realize you're going to be laying down glue, but I'm asking in regards to the old glue. And getting the floor level. I have a concrete foundation, but I know that even concrete can sometimes be slightly unlevel. How should I go about this?

3. What I want to do, is get those vinyl planks from Lowes that look like tile. You even run grout in between them to help the illusion. Is there any reason that I shouldn't do this? Has anyone had any experience with this method?

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
DIY staff

You have sheet vinyl over a concrete slab?

Best method to remove it is a sharp knife--slit it into strips about a foot wide---

Then use a razor scraper and start scraping it off the concrete---

I'm not much of a sheet vinyl installer----so that answer will have to come from someone else.

However---if you wish to add ceramic tile---if the floor comes up clean---you are ready to cut and set your ceramic using a modified thinset--

Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Tile will be cheaper to do than vinyl. You can find half decent tile for $1. You won't need much thinset and grout for the average 20 square foot floor space bath, Cheap vinyl is less than that, but you'll end up replacing it, so it ends up costing you more in the long run. Tile, done well, is once done and will last for centuries.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Thank you sir. I got all the linoleum up today. I have decided to go head and lay ceramic tile down instead of linoleum again. Do I need to get every last bit of the old glue up off the concrete? And what about where they used some kind of leveling stuff? You can see the pics. I'll let everyone take a look at the pics and tell me what I need to do next. Its mostly bare concrete now, but as you can see there are still some flat swirls of the old linoleum glue.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Bump for last question. Do I need to get ALL the old glue off of the concrete? Also do I need to get all that leveling compound up? You can see it in front of the cabinets, its that white stuff. Or can I just throw down new leveling compound on top of it?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #6

Bump. Need to get this done soon so I'd like to get some kind of answer asap.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
DIY staff

I've been working----

What you have looks good to tile-----use a powdered modified thinset----check for flat using a long straight edge--if you have lots of dips--let us know---
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

Ok thanks for the reply. I got a straight edge, and it does look like I'll be needing to do some leveling compound. I'm pretty confident that I can do it, but I have a question about the leveling compound. How do you make sure that it will be the same level as the concrete, on the edge of the compound? Once you have spread it all out, and once it dries, will the compound become the same height as the concrete, where they meet? Or will the compound sit about 1/8th inch taller? (3mm)

And if the leveling compound does end up being slightly taller than the concrete, do you just lay your thinset over it anyway?